08 Front brakes under pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
My expy does this sometimes after a hard braking. Im going to investigate a bit further because occasionally i'll get some noise, serious vibration and engine drag- almost as if the front left brake is still on. Other times its fine. I was initially thinking wheel bearing, but truck doesn't pull either way and more so the advancetrac light comes on whenever I've need wheel bearings ironically enough

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My expy does this sometimes after a hard braking. Im going to investigate a bit further because occasionally i'll get some noise, serious vibration and engine drag- almost as if the front left brake is still on. Other times its fine. I was initially thinking wheel bearing, but truck doesn't pull either way and more so the advancetrac light comes on whenever I've need wheel bearings ironically enough

One of the key indicators is if the truck (or the steering wheel) pulls to a specific side while braking; sometimes only when braking hard.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The quickest way to check for a caliper problem is to check the wear on all 4 pads. They should be close to equal wear. If one pad has excessive wear, that caliper is sticking.

Randall Hall

Reaction score
I too have a retired police 2008 Expedition XLT SSV with 105,000 miles when I got it. When I bought it, the front breaks were stuck and I had to have it towed from the dealer straight to the shop (I took a gamble because it was valued at $10,500 but paid $5,200 for it). They replaced the break hoses and the shoes and that was all that was needed to fix the breaks. They were just old and dry rotted.

So far my "great deal" gamble has led me to have to fix or replace the starter, steering pump, smart Junction box, Two TPMS monitors and a TPMS mount, three O2 sensors, a camshaft position sensor, and a rear strut (but did both rear), a front turn signal bulb, and fixed every single door seal. I still have to replace the transmission pan gasket as its leaking and I now have brand new check engine light that came on last night. I think I am now invested in what its worth so nothing else can break....

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far my "great deal" gamble has led me to have to fix or replace the starter, steering pump, smart Junction box, Two TPMS monitors and a TPMS mount, three O2 sensors, a camshaft position sensor, and a rear strut (but did both rear), a front turn signal bulb, and fixed every single door seal. I still have to replace the transmission pan gasket as its leaking and I now have brand new check engine light that came on last night. I think I am now invested in what its worth so nothing else can break....
While that is a long list of repairs and I am sure they cost a lot of $$$, for a vehicle that age, only the Smart Junction Box and door seals are really out of the ordinary. Transmission pan gasket is due to a prior sloppy repair.

I have to admit, that I am blessed with the mechanical ability to have diagnosed and handled most of those (except SJB and TPMS issues).

Not sure how long it has been in your hands, but KBB say it is worth about $7,000 today.

OP
OP
C

ChrisRCNY

Reaction score
Well, I found the problem. Front hoses were compressed by rust on the inside of the bracket. I used a grinder to weaken the bracket enough to let me pry it open and remove the hose. Instant freed brakes.

I'll be doing the hoses when I have cash.

Bleeder screw was in great shape, squirted fluid across the underside of the truck the first time I loosened it. The hard line might unscrew politely. Might.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I found the problem. Front hoses were compressed by rust on the inside of the bracket. I used a grinder to weaken the bracket enough to let me pry it open and remove the hose. Instant freed brakes.

I'll be doing the hoses when I have cash.

Bleeder screw was in great shape, squirted fluid across the underside of the truck the first time I loosened it. The hard line might unscrew politely. Might.
Chris that's great news. It is so good when you can finally figure it out. Keep an eye on those hoses. Hoses that have been compressed like that are suspect and probably on their way out. You don't want one to blow in an emergency situation.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hard line might unscrew politely. Might.
Start spraying it daily with penetrating oil. Make sure you use a "line" wrench to hold the fitting that stays on the line. A regular open end wrench will round off the brass hex. Once the line is off make sure that fitting spins freely before installing the new hose.

Flippingroc

Reaction score
UPDATE: As I don't like to do my own work, brought my truck in with advise from you guys. Although I was very low on pad and rotor life which I had already known (10-20% left) the sticking issue was getting bad enough to where it was effecting traction control functions- it would basically bring the vehicle to a stop. Ford did the pads and rotors as I instructed and also found that my drivers side brake hose had collapsed/deteriorated. I'm back to normal now!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2