'08 Suspension refresh time - Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueSkidoo

Reaction score
My 2008 XLT 4x4 is sitting at 223k miles and the suspension is getting a little tired. I also needed new brakes and wheel bearings. I figured while I had everything apart to do those I might as well upgrade the struts.

My use case is mainly fire roads up to some very mild offroading, eg. 4x4 and high clearance strongly recommended. I'd like to take it more places and use it as a dispersed camping rig this summer. Some day I might upgrade the tires to a 33 or even a 35, but that won't be for awhile.

As far as I can tell there are three main options for improving the clearance:

1) Puck Lift paired w/ Bilstein 4600's
Pros: Cheap, easy to install the lift, lots of folks run it so lots of feedback
Cons: stiffer ride quality(?), reduced suspension travel
Ebay Lift Pucks: $100
Rear 4600's: $200
Front 4600's: $210
total cost: $510

2) Rancho Quicklifts
Pros: Easiest install since they come as coilovers, tunable stiffness for towing
Cons: I've heard mixed reviews about the longevity and damping quality of them
Cost: $980

3) Bilstein 5100's
Pros: same ride quality as the 4600's, more suspension travel, adjustable ride height
Cons: I've seen some posts that new UCA's are required to avoid contact between the spring and the UCA, There seems to be a wide variation in lift height between the expedition 5100's and the f-150 5100's, the expedition 5100's don't provide much lift.
Front: $286
Rear: $248
Total cost: $534
New UCA's: $700ish
Total Cost with UCA's: $1,234

4) ICON goodies
Pros: seems to be the only full suspension kit for these trucks
Cons: very expensive, much more capability than I need
Cost: $5,764

After writing it all out I'm leaning towards either the 5100's if I can get away without needing new UCA's, or the puck lift. Anyone have any feedback regarding lift pucks, 4600's, and fire road travel?

I don't mind spending more money, but given the age and mileage of my vehicle I imagine it will need more money for maintenance in the near future so I don't want to spend more than enough to meet my needs.

Roast4570

Reaction score
If you are set on the 5100’s. There a few threads where users installed F-150 5100’s from compatible years on the front and expedition 5100’s in the rear to get the lift they wanted. Worth looking at. UCA’s are a pain to find in the aftermarket. I used freedom off-road for mine but I only lifted 2.5.

Roast4570

Reaction score
I used 4600’s with eBay spacers and I didn’t have trouble at all. 3/2’s are the favorites it seems, I just wanted more space for UCA travel.

DiddyKong22

Reaction score
Just curious what you wound up going with. I just came into a 2009 with 170,000 on it and am looking to refresh the suspension as well...

OP
OP
B

BlueSkidoo

Reaction score
Just curious what you wound up going with. I just came into a 2009 with 170,000 on it and am looking to refresh the suspension as well...

I went with option 1 because I didn't want to sink too much money into it, and it seemed pretty straightforward. All I've done so far is order parts though, they're sitting in the garage waiting for me to get some free time to install.