10W30?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
None of the newer Expeditions use 'conventional'. 6,000mi drain interval is for full synthetic and highway driving. I find your post not funny.
Fake news

actually you're correct about my 2014 5.4
owners manual advises XO-5W20-QSP
which is (currently) a synthetic oil Ford product

so ... on one hand Ford say's "use synthetic" so "it's important to do that"
....... on the other hand Ford say's "use 5W20", but "it's important NOT to do that"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peter Brown

Peter Brown

Reaction score
This is been endlessly debated since Ford change the standard to 5W-20 almost 20 years ago. A few years ago I spent a lot of time on BITOG another oil forums trying to learn more, as well as perform a half-dozen oil analyses to see for myself.

In the end, the idea that thicker oil is helpful is a commonly-believed myth. The temperature inside your engine is controlled by the thermostat to a relatively narrow range after warm-up, and your engine oil doesn't care how hot it is outside. You can find more 300,000-mile examples of modular V-8's than you could shake a stick at that have seen nothing but 5W 20 their entire lives site; some of them predominantly used for towing in hot climates. If lubrication with 5W-20 was a problem you would see common failures, but you generally don't. These engines are among the longest lasting things on the road, the overwhelming majority outlast the chassis they're installed in.

I've heard the argument that thicker oil can cause damage, but it seems rare to find examples of that. I prefers 0W-20 because of the increased protection on cold starts while retaining viscosity at high temperature. I even towed 14,000 pounds across the country in 2012 with 0W-20 in the V10-powered Excursion and never had a problem.

Hmmmm...

OP
OP
Peter Brown

Peter Brown

Reaction score
Ford has issued TSB, that 5w30 is OK in a 5w20 engine(with reduced fuel mileage .2/gal). My 2000, the oil cap says 5w30. In 2001 the same same engine 'calls for' 5w20. Ford dealerships up until 2016, used 5w20 on everything. The same engines in Austrailia require 5W30. There is another TSB saying 5w20 is OK for use in a 5w30 engine, but may consume more oil. I ran 5w20 in mine, full synthetic and can confirm, it burned a quart in about 600mi. I have not used it since. 10W30 may be good for Texas heat, but I would go with 5w30 full synthetic

TY!

Jst ROM

Reaction score
To OP,

Unless the manual says something else I use Castro 5w-20 synthetic blend, when I start towing my boat I change my oil every 3,000 mile and when I don't I go back to 5K miles. And I too live in the disgusting humid weather of Houston, TEXAS. My Expy is 2008 with 210K miles on it, I agree it's pricey utilizing the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter per oil change but with my high millage I'm gonna pamper this truck until it dies.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Fake news

actually you're correct about my 2014 5.4
owners manual advises XO-5W20-QSP
which is (currently) a synthetic oil Ford product

so ... on one hand Ford say's "use synthetic" so "it's important to do that"
....... on the other hand Ford say's "use 5W20", but "it's important NOT to do that"
That's incorrect XO-5W20-QSP is Ford part# 5w20/syn blend. The alternative is XO-5W20-QFS 5W20/full synthetic. No mention of a conventional option.

Papaboo

Reaction score
Hi All,
I highly recommend using Amsoil and spend a few bucks for one of the best motor oils out there. Read the tests results.
I have used this oil for over the last ten years in all my vehicles, none i repeat none of them burned a drop of oil. My current ride is a 2014 with 81K on the clock. I don't baby, I run it. I don't abuse it. I use what is required:

Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

It's not cheap but how expensive is an engine. I have used their products in my family cars, trucks boats and motorcycles. I know what protects my engines. None of them used oil and ran until I sold them. Example of family vehicles, my truck 14 Expedition, 2018 Mustang 350 GT Shelby, 2019 Triumph Rocket 3, 2019 Lexus, etc. I could list a few more but won't bore you to death. Read the test results on wear, heat etc test results.
Just an opinion from an old fart that has been playing with engines since the 60's the 1960's.
It's your engine and your money. Just look at all the info and make your own decision, We can still do that here in America, can't we?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Hi All,
I highly recommend using Amsoil and spend a few bucks for one of the best motor oils out there. Read the tests results.
I have used this oil for over the last ten years in all my vehicles, none i repeat none of them burned a drop of oil. My current ride is a 2014 with 81K on the clock. I don't baby, I run it. I don't abuse it. I use what is required:

Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil

It's not cheap but how expensive is an engine. I have used their products in my family cars, trucks boats and motorcycles. I know what protects my engines. None of them used oil and ran until I sold them. Example of family vehicles, my truck 14 Expedition, 2018 Mustang 350 GT Shelby, 2019 Triumph Rocket 3, 2019 Lexus, etc. I could list a few more but won't bore you to death. Read the test results on wear, heat etc test results.
Just an opinion from an old fart that has been playing with engines since the 60's the 1960's.
It's your engine and your money. Just look at all the info and make your own decision, We can still do that here in America, can't we?
Amsoil is so great...it's not certified with the 'starburst API seal'. It one of the worst marketed products in history. It's available only from so-called 'dealers', aka, out of peoples houses. I noticed the guys on "Street Outlaws', all were using Royal Purple in the race cars. I used Royal Purple in my Harley Davidson and Mustang GT. I had Blackstone test it after 1100mi/15 months in the Mustang. The said it could of went another 12 months and sample looked very nice. The Harley ran actually smoother and quieter.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no beef w Amsoil however when the cost is taken to account, for example my truck. This thing has seen like 45 oil changes in its life. You're talking about an $80 oil change with the normal synthetic Amsoil. Last time I bought some it was running $10/qt and filter almost 20 for the car I used to drag race. For me thats a $50 difference in the expy, in this instance $2200 more if it had been used since day 1. Granted it's likely better protection but at the same miles Id rather have the $2200 to put towards a replacement motor or to have for some other random failure I'm not expecting vs the small extra life I may get out of this motor, it already has 223k, it "feels" like it'll go another 50k without a hitch. Pure speculation I know. Engines wear out regardless of what's in them, it's a matter of time.

With the mileage you have I wouldnt expect it to consume oil regardless of type. 81k is hardly broken in the 5.4. I'm closing in on 3x that and use essentially no oil between changes.

From the short list of vehicles provided I gather $ isn't much of an issue for you, my home likely cost less then them. I'd probably buy the stuff too in that instance because it is proven reliable from the people I know that use it. For me, the $ in the bank is a better economical solution. If need be I could easy pick up another commuter vehicle for that price or likely rebuild the motor for a little more being labor wont be part of the equation. We decided to keep 2 full sized vehicles for when does eventually go down. The only way the extra investment for amsoil would work out favorably is if it essentially guaranteed me 400k on this thing. By then everything else will have worn out and would cost me thousands more and would be dumped long before the engine failed.

My neighbor is a dealer and uses it in EVERYTHING. Multiple mowers(owns landscape business),, generator, 3 vehicles, customer equipment, etc. In the 11 years hes lived next to me I cant recall a single internal engine related failure on anything he has his hands on. Hes great w maintenance but runs things hard during the warmer months.

OP
OP
Peter Brown

Peter Brown

Reaction score
To OP,

Unless the manual says something else I use Castro 5w-20 synthetic blend, when I start towing my boat I change my oil every 3,000 mile and when I don't I go back to 5K miles. And I too live in the disgusting humid weather of Houston, TEXAS. My Expy is 2008 with 210K miles on it, I agree it's pricey utilizing the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter per oil change but with my high millage I'm gonna pamper this truck until it dies.
Thanks! I live on the west end of Galveston Island

OP
OP
Peter Brown

Peter Brown

Reaction score
To OP,

Thanks for responding. Im on Galveston Island, far west end..