15-17 LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You are on the right track.
Some of the changes make for a shorter bulb life. These “white “ light bulbs are know to have a shorter life but they are brighter. And no you can not change voltage with a simple bulb swap. But enough of that maybe you can be of help on the LED lights. I would like to know what are people’s experience with LED bulbs on their headlights.

I understand you can't change voltage with a bulb swap but was more explaining the options that would explain the bulb magic you speak of. You still havent explained to me how "wattage can be misleading to people that don't understand electricity". Id like and explanation so I can wrap my head around this.

Last edited:

Steve15Ex

Reaction score
I ordered some LED's from HIDnation and just as others have said, they are bright outside of the housing and at some perfect angles they looked good, but the bulbs wouldn't set/lock at that angle. The second issue was putting the rubber cover back on, the heatsink\fan of the LEDS does not have room to properly put it back on. If you don't you will likely have the moisture issues other reported.

I had also ordered other LED bulbs for all around but they were not any brighter. I sent the whole order back and got a store credit for an HID kit. I'll know in about a week if it's improvement or not. You under estimate how clean of a light pattern the stock bulbs have until you seen something that scatters.

About the only positive result that I had was there were zero flicker or lag when turning on.

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ordered some LED's from HIDnation and just as others have said, they are bright outside of the housing and at some perfect angles they looked good, but the bulbs wouldn't set/lock at that angle. The second issue was putting the rubber cover back on, the heatsink\fan of the LEDS does not have room to properly put it back on. If you don't you will likely have the moisture issues other reported.

I had also ordered other LED bulbs for all around but they were not any brighter. I sent the whole order back and got a store credit for an HID kit. I'll know in about a week if it's improvement or not. You under estimate how clean of a light pattern the stock bulbs have until you seen something that scatters.

About the only positive result that I had was there were zero flicker or lag when turning on.
Good to know. Do you remember which were the LEDs you returned?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through two sets of LEDs that really didn't give me enough Light down the road then I switched to an 35W HID set using canbus ballasts. I posted a bunch of pictures on other threads but I'm not not going to post then again. You can find them if you search my user name and HID as a keyword. This is what I'm using and very happy with. https://www.xenonhids.com/35w-ac-canbus-ballast-hid-kit.html

I would have liked to LEDs but they just didn't work in my projector housing.

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through two sets of LEDs that really didn't give me enough Light down the road then I switched to an 35W HID set using canbus ballasts. I posted a bunch of pictures on other threads but I'm not not going to post then again. You can find them if you search my user name and HID as a keyword. This is what I'm using and very happy with. https://www.xenonhids.com/35w-ac-canbus-ballast-hid-kit.html

I would have liked to LEDs but they just didn't work in my projector housing.
Awesome I’ll check it out.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Interesting information, I would like to know which LEDs he used.
I believe he said GTR lighting. With the led design currently being used by pretty much everyone they aren't omnidirectional so they wont produce like a halogen or hid. You'll have dark areas and no distance.