15-17 LED Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do I need too? Same wattage through tinted glass so it should speak for itself. Even if that tint is blue it's still tinted and affects light output the same way a smoke tint does. I'll dig up some actual information for you. Give me a few
Wattage can be misleading to those who do not understand electricity. Wattage is just energy consumption. Aftermarket bulbs have to stay within the OEM wattage because the wiring and the whole system is rated for such. So they don’t want be responsible for damage to the system. You can produce more lumens with a same wattage bulb or even less.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Tell me about this trickery you speak of... So same voltage, same wattage generating more lumens yet still through tinted glass.. Are They using some other type of gas within the bulb capsule? Please explain how they are boosting the efficiency of these bulbs.

In most cases they'll boost the wattage of the bulb because they dont give a damn about your factory wiring and typically would come with a warning that pretty much covers them. Remember who your dealing with 90% of these bulbs... China
Just saying. I'm still searching for the lux chart one of the guys from headlight junkies did but struggling to find it

Also I have no clue how electricity works. Couple pics from what I do every day as an fyi

20170425_120636.jpg

20170425_120838.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tell me about this trickery you speak of... So same voltage, same wattage generating more lumens yet still through tinted glass.. Are They using some other type of gas within the bulb capsule? Please explain how they are boosting the efficiency of these bulbs.

In most cases they'll boost the wattage of the bulb because they dont give a damn about your factory wiring and typically would come with a warning that pretty much covers them. Remember who your dealing with 90% of these bulbs... China
Just saying. I'm still searching for the lux chart one of the guys from headlight junkies did but struggling to find it

Also I have no clue how electricity works. Couple pics from what I do every day as an fyi

View attachment 22822

View attachment 22823
You almost answered your own question. If you can’t change voltage and wattage what can you change. No trickery just basic electricity. I think, I am not a electrician.
Those pictures are cute, what is that some kind of low pressure fuel module? Just wondering I think I have seen that before.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You almost answered your own question. If you can’t change voltage and wattage what can you change. No trickery just basic electricity. I think, I am not a electrician.
Those pictures are cute, what is that some kind of low pressure fuel module? Just wondering I think I have seen that before.

Well what are they changing? You can either boost voltage which will reduce bulb life but lower amperage, boost wattage which drives your amperage(current) up, also increases evaporation of the gas within the bulb reducing bulb life? The only other thing they could really do is change the gas type (if there is another option because I'm not sure there is).

I'm actually an HVAC service technician. I basically troubleshoot electrical/mechanical systems all day long. The pictures I posted are of a power/control system in a Titan Air direct fire make up air unit. Modulating gas valves to maintain an 90° rise with 80% outside air at all times. Really awesome equipment. I'm actually the rep in my area and do all the startups/service

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well what are they changing? You can either boost voltage which will reduce bulb life but lower amperage, boost wattage which drives your amperage(current) up, also increases evaporation of the gas within the bulb reducing bulb life? The only other thing they could really do is change the gas type (if there is another option because I'm not sure there is).

I'm actually an HVAC service technician. I basically troubleshoot electrical/mechanical systems all day long. The pictures I posted are of a power/control system in a Titan Air direct fire make up air unit. Modulating gas valves to maintain an 90° rise with 80% outside air at all times. Really awesome equipment. I'm actually the rep in my area and do all the startups/service

You are on the right track.
Some of the changes make for a shorter bulb life. These “white “ light bulbs are know to have a shorter life but they are brighter. And no you can not change voltage with a simple bulb swap. But enough of that maybe you can be of help on the LED lights. I would like to know what are people’s experience with LED bulbs on their headlights.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm actually an HVAC service technician.

I thought you were an Optometrist

I don’t care what Gixer says. I run LEDs on my 17 EL and love them. They’re a night and day difference from the oem halogen bulbs. They put out more light and further light down the road. When facing a wall beam is still the same as the oem bulbs. Not one person has flashed me yet which is usually tell tell if you’re blinding them. I don’t have any trouble seeing at night with them on either (still trying to wrap my head around that one)

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought you were an Optometrist

I don’t care what Gixer says. I run LEDs on my 17 EL and love them. They’re a night and day difference from the oem halogen bulbs. They put out more light and further light down the road. When facing a wall beam is still the same as the oem bulbs. Not one person has flashed me yet which is usually tell tell if you’re blinding them. I don’t have any trouble seeing at night with them on either (still trying to wrap my head around that one)
Do you mind sharing which lights you are using? I would like to see more info on them.
Also how long have you had them for?

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ll have to dig back through my Amazon orders and find them. I bought two sets because the first set I got was the wrong wattage and to dim.

I’ve been running them for 6+ months at least.