15-17 Owners just get the SSV transfer case skid plate. It costs $35 including hardware!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just ordered mine before the weekend. Los Angeles has the same prices but x2. $25 for the plate and $10 for the bolts. Obviously declined the bolts because the part system said the nuts were m8 but labeled the bolts as m6 (100% not compatible) so hardware store it is.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Navigator Generation III 2007-...Top
selectable all wheel drive (2H - Auto4wd - 4H), no low range. In the Auto4wd mode the behaviour is similar to the automatic all wheel drive - normally a rear-wheel drive vehicle, torque transfer to the front when needed.

"The Borg-Warner 1-speed torque-on-demand transfer case is a 2-piece magnesium design. The transfer case transfers engine power from the transmission to the front and rear axles. Under normal driving conditions, the unit is in All-Wheel Drive (AWD), but when desired, the operator may shift into 4x4 high (4H). The operator can switch between 2-Wheel Drive (2WD), AWD and Four-Wheel Drive (4WD) HIGH mode at any speed. The transfer case is equipped with an internal electromagnetic clutch and is shifted electronically. In AWD, the 4X4 control module varies the torque split between front and rear drivelines by controlling the transfer case clutch. Under most conditions, the 4X4 control module activates the transfer case clutch at a minimum duty cycle (percentage of time the clutch is turned on) which allows for a slight speed difference between the front and rear drivelines which normally occurs when negotiating a corner on dry pavement. When the rear wheels are overpowered, the 4X4 control module detects this slip condition and the duty cycle to the transfer case clutch is increased until the speed difference between front and rear drivelines is reduced. In this manner, the 4X4 control module can redirect engine torque to the front wheels when the rear wheels lose traction, yet still allow operation in the AWD mode on dry pavement. The unit is lubricated by a positive displacement fluid pump that channels fluid flow through holes in the rear output shaft."

Source: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/22909-2008-lincoln-navigator-4x4

I’ll bet there’s no 4L bc these trucks dont go offroad rock crawling or sand surfing where you would need it most. Lincolns are for old folks anyways

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty sure this info is only good for the 15-17 Expeditions as there are some extra cross beams around the transfer case.

SSV Transfercase Skid FL1Z-7E063-A $12.82 from my local dealer that is not a typo! It is the same galvanized steel as the engine OEM engine skid. Sure not RCI 10 gauge steel but certainly worth $13.

Frame Clip Speed Nuts (4 needed) W712349-S439 $3.60 each (yes in all cost more than the plate itself)

The parts department found W705134-S440 as the bolts needed but these were not correct. I went over Fastenal and got M8x20 Hex Cap Screws (4 needed) and M8x24 Fender Washers (4 needed) those cost me $6.

While possibly over kill as the engine skid was just grimey I decided to paint them as I prefer the black look not that you really seem them often.
I used Rustoleum Redoxide primer and their professional life of Semi-Gloss spray paint as suggested by a buddy that has a seriously built 4Runner. Just respray the gouges and scratches on occasion. I have the RCI transmission skid arriving tomorrow it is powdercoated so we’ll see which holds up better over time.
Here are a few pictures.
Unprotected Transfer Case
C23-E0-A9-A-1-D6-D-48-BE-814-C-D608-CE3-D0-A85.jpg
Paint progression
0736356-A-E8-A1-4-B80-B0-A0-50-A508-AA4-C6-D.jpg
15-B71688-DF89-4946-BD74-181-B0-C869-A56.jpg
A10-C3883-10-A2-4-DC6-9241-293-D9-B3-B3841.jpg
Speed Nut Frame Clips there are 4 and easy to tell where they go
C0-A03-D25-DF80-40-A2-94-BE-196-C0504-BD0-D.jpg
Installed
D625-B2-E8-53-D7-4-E9-B-9793-9-C1-F9937-A6-B6.jpg
Drove around all day yesterday with zero rattles. Going to hit the highway for an hour drive to pick up my Bilsteins so we’ll see how that goes.
Over all for $35 it is sill not to protect the transfer case even if not off-roading.

Just a note to say thank you for the information and pictures.

I ordered the parts and installed them today on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

In their hardware department tray assortment of fasteners, Home Depot sells a 2-pack of M8 x 1.25 inch x 20 mm, hex-head flange bolts (with a fluted head) - 10 mm hex head, for about $1.50 for a 2-pack. I bought four washers as suggested, and used the flange bolts - worked great.

Ford has raised the list price of the skid plate to a little over $25.