18 inch to 22 inch wheel upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serge12

Reaction score
I currently have 18s on my xlt and want to install 22 inch stealth wheels how much worse will the ride be ?

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went from 22 to 18 to get more sidewall.
The 22s look cool. But every. Little. Bump.
Personally I would just get some 18s you like.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I currently have 18s on my xlt and want to install 22 inch stealth wheels how much worse will the ride be ?
Can you just go test drive a dealer one with 22s to get an idea before you spend a few grand? Keep in mind potential damper differences between yours and the dealers, as well as air pressure. I just had mine serviced yesterday and they put 42 psi cold whereas I normally run 36 psi cold without payload. That 6 psi made a lot of difference on the drive home with our crummy roads.

I went from 22s on mine to 20s for a smoother ride. My 22" Navigator wheels/tires are for sale on ebay.

OP
OP
S

serge12

Reaction score
I have a 2015 with factory 22s with ccd but my 18 doesn’t have ccd so I’m trying to find out and dealer doesn’t have any with 22s without ccd

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
factory 22s always ride better than aftermarket 22s due to the tire size factory uses compared to aftermarket...there shouldnt be a huge difference in ride...you'll notice a difference but shouldnt be hateful...im on 26s and still have a smooth ride as long as the roads arent too bad

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You want to go from 18 to 22 for the look, I get it. Makes perfect sense because the look matters to you.

Just how I understand how people prefer to go smaller diameter wheel for the ride or the look.

IMO going to a 22 with a 285/45 tire isn't a bad ride. It's more than fine. Hell, I have 22s with A/T tires on my F150 and I beat my truck while still enjoying the ride.

If you're starting this thread it's likely because you want to go with a larger diameter wheel. Unless you want to offroad or have terrible roads in your area, don't let the minor difference in ride take away from what you want or what matters to you more. I feel these trucks are so big that a larger diameter wheel is a must, but that's just my opinion as to what matters to me.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
@MattG Yup, to each their own. You just have to prioritize what you'd like to have and then live with the tradeoffs accordingly.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I have a 2015 with factory 22s with ccd but my 18 doesn’t have ccd so I’m trying to find out and dealer doesn’t have any with 22s without ccd
Well, you could swap your 2015 wheels onto your 2018 assuming it's the same bolt pattern, offset, etc (I'm new to Ford trucks and don't know much about them) and try it out!