1998 Expedition driveshaft questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

98eb

Reaction score
Thanks 98EXP. I found one for about $70, going to go pick it up today. Not sure if it's a double cardan or not. I looked at about 10 a few days ago and none of them were. Hoping for the best.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

OP
OP

98eb

Reaction score
So I picked up the used driveshaft and noticed that there is one notch inside the driveshaft slip that is wider than the others. So, I assumed it would only slip in one way, sort of fitting like a key into the transmission.

Looking at the transmission, however, I noticed that all the notches are the same size. There doesn't seem to be any wider notches that would fit the wide notch in the slip joint.

Does it matter which way the used shaft goes back in?

I'm hoping someone sees this and can respond soon.

Thanks.

OP
OP

98eb

Reaction score
I went ahead and threw the "new" driveshaft on and took it for a drive. It seems to drive pretty well without too much vibration. I'll have to find a nice, smooth road to test it on.

I had the pinion flange marked so I'm fairly certain I got the yoke back in the right spot. Does it matter much if it's off by a few teeth?

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know the notch you are talking about in the yoke and no, there is no corresponding notch in the output shaft, just splines. You should be good.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All 97's have that joint. I also believe when those drive lines were balanced they did it with the pin in the rear end or at least thats what i was told from my trans friend.