1999 Eddie bauer 4x4 type?

Discussion in '1st Gen - 1997 - 2002' started by onebigtruck, Feb 13, 2019.

1. onebigtruck

onebigtruck New Member

Hi, I have a 1999 Eddie bauer. There's nothing wrong with it. My question is what type of 4x4 system is it? I know it's auto 4 wheel drive. Has the selector that says A4H 4H 4L.i would like to know if I have limited slip or locking axles. I want to make it a more serious 4by but I want true 4 wheel drive. Not just one front and one rear drive wheel. Also is there anyway to stop the front end from auto locking when it senses slip? I've heard of the brown wire hack. Does that apply to me?

Thanks in advance.

2. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

Yes, brown wire mod makes it RWD.

Regardless of what came in the rear axle from the factory, the amount of miles that yours likely has, the limited slip (if you have one) probably isn’t very good anymore- maybe on the road, but not offroad. If you are making a serious 4x4, you’ll open up the differential and regear and add a true locker anyway.

3. onebigtruck

onebigtruck New Member

176,000 miles. So yes, pretty high mileage. I was thinking to do lockers anyway. Guess I'll have to do it sooner than I thought.

Thank you

4. Tjhoward84

Tjhoward84 Active Member

What is the difference between doing the "brown wire mod" and pulling fuse 104? My guess is cutting the wire and then wiring in a single pole, single throw momentary switch to the cut brown wire offers the driver the ability to quickly and easily switch the truck between 2WD and AWD. Where as pulling fuse 104 would require the reinstallation of that fuse to go back to AWD.

If I understand correctly, both options do the same thing (disable the AWD feature).

5. onebigtruck

onebigtruck New Member

That is my understanding as well. I definitely prefer the switch so I can enable and disable at will.

6. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Full Access Members

I added a switch. Never use it. Cut the wire and cap it.

7. Wal92tt

Wal92tt Well-Known Member

I have the same 1999 EB 4x4. I've never heard of "true lock"? Can anyone explain it or point me to a video to dumb it down for me? BTY, my drivers front axle popped out of the transfer case, so no 4x4 for me right now....