1999 Ford Expedition No Start No Crank - Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zebani S

Reaction score
So I lent my Expedition to a friend, he went on short trip to the gas station for cigs, no problem, got home shut it off, then tried to turn it back on and nothing. Thought it needed a jump, but it still wouldn't start. I took at a look at it and when I would switch it to start, the headlights and all the lights on the dash would kill and not come back. The door ajar sound would be the only thing that would work. Then at random times, the dash lights and headlights would come back and behave normally but the vehicle still would not start and after attempting the dashlights and everything would kill again.

I've had a lot going on so it's just been sitting for the past three months or so. Occasionally I take a look at it and try to get it running but no luck. Currently it's not doing the dash thing anymore, everything else electrical is working fine, the power locks, the headlights, the dash, etc. But still it won't crank. Here's what I've checked and done so far:

Cleaned the battery terminals
Checked for blown fuses
Checked relays for signs of corrosion
Tried two different fully charged and load tested batteries
Jumped the starter (and yes it's responsive)
Changed the ignition switch

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
voltage drop test the battery cables. check ground connection on other end of cable. Sometimes the corrosion can be under the insulation on the cable

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes definitely a problem on battery cables. Check the cable to terminal connection for looseness or corrosion. Also check the connection at the starter itself.

OP
OP
Z

Zebani S

Reaction score
Ok so I didn't know these Xs have two starter solenoids. After cleaning the connections on the starter (already did the battery connections weeks ago), I took a jumper wire and jumped the solenoid that's under the hood and lo and behold the starter engaged. So that means this remote solenoid isn't getting signal right? Do I maybe have a bad neutral safety switch? My shifter is out of alignment but I made sure multiple times I was in park and even walked down to neutral to see if it would start then but still a no.

craig sargood

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the alarm light on the dash flashing at all?? Had an old 99 die at the store before, pcm fried and needed to be replaced and reflashed out of nowhere.

Josh_913

Reaction score
But I keep reading that if the NSS is bad it should still start when I shift into neutral. But it doesn't.
This is true sometimes but more often than not when a NSS fails it wont start in either. I would also suggest trying to make sure other electrical components work when the battery is on (ie: horn, lights turn signals high beams) that'll tell you if its the NSS or the another electrical problem somewhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69