1st post! How and Where to buy next Expedition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quadzilla200

Reaction score
My 2012 was just totaled. I have $17k they are giving me and I was thinking of going high mileage 15-16 for 5k more, but man one of those 3.5s have problems or go out and I made a horrible choice. A new 5.4 crate motor would be so much cheaper and I know the motor, just crappy mileage, but honestly are we talking a couple hundred bucks a year difference.
The only thing I'm removing from a 12-14 is making sure they don't have the rear air bags or the auto steps. Both huge expenses and not necessary. So an XLT with a package solves that versus a Limited again.
Would love the older ones to have BLIS, but other than that they are super comfortable, the rear glass opens up and the back seat folds down. They are so much more affordable than the F150s as well. 2018s are just ridiculously expensive 100k miles for $35,000 is stupid. That will drop $10-15k the moment inventory returns. They were offering these for $10-15k off new before the pandemic.
I think the 12-14s are the sweet spot to avoid disastrous resale value and you essentially have almost all the bells and whistles.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a limited with fixed steps, no sunroof, on springs. They're out there.

bws2015

Reaction score
I would own a sequoia, I think it would be a good choice for someone that isn't mechanically inclined. If a turbo goes out on the expy, I'd just replace it and keep on going.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are all similar these days as far as reliability. Most will be ok well into and past 100k into 200k but with more sensors more issues. Your options are limited here. GM makes a good motor (6.2) but the 5.3 is pretty sub par if you plan to tow. For everyday it’s ok. And Ford makes the EcoBoost which you want if you plan to tow a lot. Nissan doesn’t have a good track record. Toyota Sequoia is getting an update and a twin turbo engine soon. Personally I’d only take a 6.2 or Eco. The 5.3, 5.6 are a bit weaker and the Durango’s are just too small. The new sequoia will be interesting.

Pretty much my exact feelings. I’ve always been a large SUV guy because of the ability to carry alot of people, gear and cargo in heated / cooled space and at the same time tow heavy loads when required.

Unfortunately, the HD SUV towing capability went away when the Excursion and 2500 Suburban went away.

Today the best solution for HD towing is a HD pickup. Unfortunately, with HD pickups, you lose the heated / cooled cargo space of the SUV.

I towed my race car, tools, spares, fuel and people all over the east and midwest with my 2002 7.3 Diesel Excursion. In 2014 I sold it when I stopped racing and believed I would no longer have a need for HD towing.

Now I find myself needing to tow fairly heavy loads long distances and make it work with my 2017 Expedition (with HD tow).

So far so good, but def not a Diesel Excursion.