200,000 mile service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, the old girl is about to hit 200,000 before long.

Want to find out what kinds of things I should seriously consider having serviced at this milestone. I know this information is in the owners manual but am wondering if there are things that other members think are important that might not be on the list in the manual.

Thanks in advance.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plugs and boots, fuel filter, air filter, coolant flush, power steering flush would be mine.

Plati

Reaction score
So, the old girl is about to hit 200,000 before long.

Want to find out what kinds of things I should seriously consider having serviced at this milestone. I know this information is in the owners manual but am wondering if there are things that other members think are important that might not be on the list in the manual.

Thanks in advance.
Would need to know the maintenance history to answer that.
Ever done a transmission flush for example?
Some might say if never done a tranny flush - don't do that now!

I go with the manual on my 2003, hard to visualize something important not in manual.

Also … how long do you plan to keep it?
My 2003 with 180K is nearing end of life, so I might not do some items on it.

Seems like a good age to visually inspect cooling & vacuum hoses … belt … suspension

Based on my recent experience, would take a good look see at battery

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, if you don't know if the Trans flush has been done ever, or.you never did it assuming you got it with less than 100k, i would NOT do it at 200k. I have read many horror stories about what happens.after a situation like that.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition has 216k on it, i did maintenance like usual, but didn't have a set procedure at 200k. I did the coils and plugs, air filter, and other typical maintenance items, didn't have a set plan necessarily.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course we need history to give solid advice, but to shotgun change all fluids; front and rear differential, transfer case, power steering, brake, motor oil, change it all. When was the front suspension refreshed last? At 200k my tie rod ends, lower ball joint and upper control arms were shot.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course we need history to give solid advice, but to shotgun change all fluids; front and rear differential, transfer case, power steering, brake, motor oil, change it all. When was the front suspension refreshed last? At 200k my tie rod ends, lower ball joint and upper control arms were shot.

ironically, my front end components aren't shot. It's the one area that is still ok. I STRONGLY disagree changing the Trans fluid of it has never been done before above 150k. More bad than good will likely come of it.

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I STRONGLY disagree changing the Trans fluid of it has never been done before above 150k. More bad than good will likely come of it.

Is the assumption that the trans fluid was never changed until now? I didn't catch that from his post but could've overlooked it or maybe he posted that in another thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dcleghorn01