2000 Expedition 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
So far she is doing good since the timing chain, and other engine upgrades..
Overhauled the front end, and now fixing to change the bushings on the rear..
So many choices on Rock auto, I can’t make up my mind.. Don’t know about the poly stuff, probably going to stick with rubber..
Going to do the rear brakes and change brake fluid as well..
I’m not going to tackle the heater, and ac under the dash, I don’t think, can’t bend and turn my neck to well..
Been a good journey..image.jpg

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Went on a short 110 mile trip driving 60 mph and got 19.5 mpg..Hasn’t done that since I bought it.. That was with Castro 10w40 high mileage oil..

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
I put the 5w30 back in it, done the same trip, but at 65 mph and got 18.5 mpg..
I’m new to interpreting these fuel trim figures, but this was done at 65 mph
I’m not sure if the long term fuel trim is good, for this particular speed..IMG_6408.png

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice work, impressive MPG! Long time ago my 1999 5.4 got around 14 mpg city but now it's down to 11.5.

I wouldn't be concerned about those LTFT readings unless they're increasing; they won't trigger a DTC(P0171,P0174) until well over 20%.

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch, I’ve been reading about it, but you told me what I need to know..
I’m going to do the back brakes this week..
I’m thinking the non PI heads that was put on this engine might have something to do with the gas mileage, who knows..

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
Btw, I piped clean the heck out of the intake, and so glad I did.. I have the metal one.. I’m sure that helped with MPG as well..
The only thing I made a bad decision on was putting too stiff shocks on all 4s.. I don’t like them and will change them out soon hehe

jr1under

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you have air suspension rear shocks before? Mine does and I've always disliked them but don't feel I've got the skillset to change them myself.

OP
OP
Billme

Billme

Reaction score
No, never had them.. I’ll have to look at a video to see what it’s all about.. I noticed it somewhat in the manuals I have .. You never know, you might be able to tackle it..
I would think it would ride better.. If you can keep up with the maintenance, it might be worth it to keep it.