2003 Expy XLT: Rear sway bar bushing bracket/holder bolts spin.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cooper

Reaction score
I've been trying to change my sway bar but, when I try to remove the bracket the holds the bushing the bolt just spins.
I can see the head of one bolt and its prefect flat on top. The other is inaccessible due to being inside the frame.
Don't wantto just cut them off as I would no be able to replace them.

Anyone ever changed out a rear sway bar and bushings on a 2003 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4l?
If so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

PS I don't have any air tools.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a lot of rust in the area of the mounts ? Spray on some Liquid Wrench (Walmart) and let it soak for a few minutes. Can you get a pair of ViseGrips on the end of the stud without mangling it ? To hold it while you turn the nut. I replaced mine but it's been a long time. I installed a Belltech swaybar.

xQvojO.jpg

Last edited:

Bain64

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the end of the bolts have a hex head on it? It looks like you could put a box wrench on the nut, and a socket or wrench on the end of the bolt to prevent the bolt from turning. Otherwise soak it with a penetrant and try an impact wrench. I too upgraded to a Belltech, replacing the whole sway bar, and don't remember having trouble despite the copious rust under my 2003.

OP
OP
Cooper

Cooper

Reaction score
Thank you for the relpies guys.

How I did it was use a hand grinder and kntched out slits on the bottom of the bolt.
Then used a flat head screw driver to keep it from turning.
I went to NAPA for replacement bolts but none are available so, I just clean the treads and reused them.

The new issue is there is sometimes a light knock or clunk when going only bumps at slow speeds.
I think I need to tighten everything again with the wheels on the ground?

BTW these are the parts added all from Amazon and a comparison pic.

20190319_142904kko.jpg

Stabilizer Sway Bar Link Rear LH or RH for 03-06 Expedition Navigator Truck SUV

Belltech 5550 Rear Anti-Swaybar

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cooper

Cooper

Reaction score
Do the end of the bolts have a hex head on it? It looks like you could put a box wrench on the nut, and a socket or wrench on the end of the bolt to prevent the bolt from turning. Otherwise soak it with a penetrant and try an impact wrench. I too upgraded to a Belltech, replacing the whole sway bar, and don't remember having trouble despite the copious rust under my 2003.

No the are smooth.

OP
OP
Cooper

Cooper

Reaction score
Is there a lot of rust in the area of the mounts ? Spray on some Liquid Wrench (Walmart) and let it soak for a few minutes. Can you get a pair of ViseGrips on the end of the stud without mangling it ? To hold it while you turn the nut. I replaced mine but it's been a long time. I installed a Belltech swaybar.

xQvojO.jpg
Dog it! Looking at you pic I see that I put the part that bows in the up position. God I got to fight with them bolts again. THis time with lock tight on them :(

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dog it! Looking at you pic I see that I put the part that bows in the up position. God I got to fight with them bolts again. THis time with lock tight on them :(

Yeah, I don't know, I thought it could only go on one way, but it's been a long time since I did the install.

OP
OP
Cooper

Cooper

Reaction score
Got some impaact sockets and used my hex impact drill and wow it made a huge difference. Zips those nuts out like nothing,

Truck stays so flat when cornering now. I love it!

Last edited: