2003 Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
used the "search" function, but nothing came up for this specific question. I can get the steering wheel (with controls & Airbag) off an '09 Expy EB for a really good price. I want to know if it can swapped out for the wheel in my '03 EB? Mine is getting ratty. Any ideas? Thanks!

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know im not helping but i would be interested too!! I love the style and i want woodgrain but not the sticker kit stuff

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ha! You're right, that doesn't help! But at least I know others are thinking the same thing. Come on folks, SOMEONE has got to know if this can be done!?!?

I also want to see if I can do a gauge cluster conversion from an '08-'09 (ideally) or an '06.

BTW- what size are your wheels? 22"s? I like that look. Wanting to upgrade mine....

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh, I thought I had posted the instructions on how to remove the 03 steering wheel, but it turns out the thread was just me telling you how it was sketchy to do so. I could post the instructions if you want?

Just a guess here, but I'd assume it'd fit, but some of the connectors won't work.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
THERE 24"s WITH 305/35 TIRE

AND AS LONG AS THE CRUISE CONTROLS LINE UP OR CAN BE SIMPLE TO WIRE UP, THEN ILL LOOK INTO THE SWAP A LITTLE MORE SERIOUSLY

OP
OP
L

locosol96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OKIE DOKIE-- Got home from work and decided I had the time to replace my JVC in-dash DVD unit that died. Figured while I was at it, I'd remove my steering wheel (gets in the way anyhow) and try doing a swap with a wheel from an '09 Expy XLT. So, the verdict is---

MAYBE it can be done. The hookups are totally different where the harnesses for the controls and such go into the steering wheel mounting base. The airbag connections are the same, but nothing else is. So, I COULD do it, but I would have no horn, cruise, temp, or audio controls. Now, if someone REALLY HAS to do this, I'm sure you could if you had the patience to re-wire the connectors. Doesn't look like an easy task to me.

So, one of those "Can I....?" questions answered for me. All it cost me was $30 bucks for the wheel (it's in pretty ratty shape. The guy was surprised I even wanted it) and 30 minutes of my time. But, now I KNOW it's not worth doing. I'll just buy a new wheel.