2003 triton 5.4 loud noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're talking about the pulley with the grooves in your picture then yes, that would be a grooved idler pulley, the other two idlers and the tensioner pulley are all smooth if I remember right. If there is any play, movement, clicking, roughness, etc then it should be replaced asap. I would recommend you look on fordparts.com to obtain the part number, then search ebay using the part number you found. It's the most cost effective way of getting oem parts I've found..check rockauto also for comparison.

OP
OP
T

Trumposarus

Reaction score
Thank you for finding the part. Is a pulley puller necessary for the repair? Is it something I'd be able to make out of steel if I had too?

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need for a puller to get the pulley off, it comes off pretty easily when you remove the bolt. If you plan to replace the bearing only, you'll need some tools to remove the old one and install a new one. For 20 bucks, it's not really worth the time to do that though, so simply replacing the whole pulley is a 5 minute job with a basic 1/2" ratchet tool set. Just don't over torque the bolt when you tighten it, I like using a 3/8" ratchet set in order to get a better feel for the torque.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a torque spec of course, all bolts in the vehicle has that. I don't remember what it is right now, but you don't need it unless you actually have a torque wrench. Just snug it up tight. :)