2004 expedition transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

danrid1982

Reaction score
junk yards telling me that 4r75w was only for 5.4 2004 no other will replace and i cannot find that around here and no rebuilder will touch it or advise me if anything else will work

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
I can say with personal experience. I had a 96 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. Loved that car ran like a top gave up after 265K, blew head gasket on a 4V. not a job I wanted to tackle but still pulled all day long even with blown gasket. attached was a J-modded 4R70W (98) updated internals, VB, servo's and the like. I repinned the harnes to work with the updated electronics in it as opposed to the 96 which was older style. I can honestly say the 4R70W was almost bullet proof. I beat the ever living hell out of that trans and it never faltered once. shifted firm and neck snapping with the Diablo sport chip installed (Custom Tune) If I can I would go back to that Trans with the J-Mod complete and updated internals. you would never have another issue with your trans probably for the rest of your time.

Ok Here is why I liked the 98 and newer 4R70W trans. -

This is what I had to do to mine from a 96 to upgrade to a 98 but included the reasons to go to that trans and its options.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...r-Re-Wire-Your-Opinion-Matters&highlight=Bill

Last edited:

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
Any update on this issue? in the 2004 I think you should still be able to use the 4R70W trans. I don't think anything drastic changed till 2005 when the turbine sensor was utilized.. I could be wrong but everything should be direct fit. Anyone else care to elaborate if I'm incorrect.

I will be looking into that trans should I ever need to replace mine as I'm also an 04 EB.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok on a 4R70W tranny you can order one online I mean a badazz one with a nice stall shift kit Street/strip for like $3000.00 depends what u want to spend.

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
The one in my Lincoln was the same type, as far as my research shows 99 thru 04 same style and can benefit from the jmod. It also shows the 04 had even beefier internals, then in 05 Ford used 4r75w. Added the turbine sensor for drive by wire throttle and computerized shifting cutting down on the hunting for proper gear. Can't stress enough don't use anything else but Mercon V trans fluid. Have not played with synthetic. Can tell you doing the jmod alone well prolong the life of that trans.

04ExpeditionEB

Reaction score
ok on a 4R70W tranny you can order one online I mean a badazz one with a nice stall shift kit Street/strip for like $3000.00 depends what u want to spend.

Honestly, I would want a trans that will support the heavier truck and hold up to the increased torque required to tow or go 4x'ng the days of go faster build it better for launching just don't seem to have a place anymore. its more of a how long can I keep it alive and running reliable for my family to go places. Money is tight for everyone. I'm no exception. If money and time were not a factor I'd pull the entire power train and rebuild it all sine the shell is in immaculate condition knowing I'll have this truck for at least the next 6-10 years. until that time, I have to worry about every little detail to head off any potential major headaches. I only want to what ever job to this truck 1 time if need be. I'm not into pulling the same thing apart many times cause I cheeped out or didn't follow directions.

Just my .02$

good luck either way.