2005 transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jphill5688

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Follow up Undrivable slipping transmission 2005 expedition

Had transmission replaced with a remanufactured one. $3000. Back on the road

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jphill5688 did the trans shop recommend replacing the radiator? I has an Aerostar that I had a shop rebuild the trans. Two months later the transmission heat exchanger inside the radiator coolant tank leaks and fills the trans with coolant. So much for the rebuild.
I strongly suggest you think about changing the radiator or going to an external trans cooler and bypass the one in the radiator.

OP
OP
Jphill5688

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Thanks for reply. No. repair shop did not say anything about radiator. My neighbor had the exact situation that you are talking about. I’ll have to ask repair shop. Car is certainly old enough to have that problem also.

Jonnyrocket

Reaction score
Interesting, transmissions run their fluid through the cooler at a higher pressure than the coolant system so when the interface between the two fails it usually forces out the coolant and not vice versa. Thanks for letting me know that this can happen in an unusual way.