2006 XLT 125k Timing Chains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Just an update to close the thread. I paid $3600 to Elk Grove Ford to do the rails, guides, chains, phasers, both solenoids, and all the other related crap. The motor had 155k miles on it, and I have to say that it feels like a brand new engine. It is very responsive to throttle input, and my wife is very happy with the performance. She had been complaining about how sluggish it was.

I wanted to put a Melling oil pump in, but the tech said it would have been another $700 in labor, and no real payoff to spend that extra money. So I took his advice and did not push to put the pump in. Hopefully that does not turn out to be a mistake.

Happy journeys.

I hate to say this to you but the oil pump was the most vital component to be replaced in all of that repair. Theres no way the oil pump was an additional $700, its accessible from the front of the motor when all the timing components are out of the way... takes at most 1 additional hour of work!

None the less glad to have another long lived expy on the road

OP
OP
Parhelion

Parhelion

Reaction score
I hate to say this to you but the oil pump was the most vital component to be replaced in all of that repair. Theres no way the oil pump was an additional $700, its accessible from the front of the motor when all the timing components are out of the way... takes at most 1 additional hour of work!

None the less glad to have another long lived expy on the road

Well I appreciate the knowledge. Maybe some day I will meet an independent I can actually trust so I can start saving some money!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your probably O.K., much of the time top end oil pressure issues stem from bad tensioner gaskets or a clogged oil pickup (broken off tensioner pieces). If those items were replaced/ inspected your likely fine. The OEM oil pump isn’t the greatest with its aluminum backing plate but I wouldn’t lose any sleep if I were you, everything’s been redone. Plus the dealer would have put in the same exact OEM oil pump lol. Just change the oil often and keep up on it here on out.

Last edited:

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear its done! Hope it all holds together and you get another 150k out of it.