2007 cranking but not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reamest

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help on an issue I'm having with my Expedition. It cranks but will not start. The weird thing is, that sometimes it will start without any problems. There is no Rhyme or Reason or situation or circumstance to tell when it will start or when it won't start. I've changed the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I've had it at the Ford garage, but they weren't able to get it to not start so they were able to diagnose it. No check engine light comes on so no codes have been stored. People have said that it could be the driver control module or fuel pressure regulator, but both of those are incorporated in the fuel pump which was replaced. I feel like it's an electrical issue of the computer not telling the engine to spark, but I have no idea how to check that. I've been living with this issue for the last year, because I know it will eventually start, whether it takes 5 Seconds, 30 seconds, or a minute. Except for today it didn't start for an hour and a half. Even though I had it idling for a couple of minutes while I charged the AC a couple hours prior. During that hour and a half, I checked all the fuses and the relays. I could hear the fuel pump turning on, and there was fuel at the fuel rail. It responded to nothing that I did until I disconnected the negative battery, and unplugged the ECM and left everything unplugged for a couple of minutes hoping it would reset something. If that actually did anything, I don't know, but it started shortly thereafter I put it all back together. Has anyone else had this issue or heard of this problem?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a long shot question

Has the espy ever had or presently have a remote starting system installed??

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Intermittent electrical issues can take a long time to troubleshoot. Do you have access to a test light, digital voltmeter and an obd2 scanner?

Ford and their infinite wisdom placed the fuse/relay box by the radiator where the engine heat can cook the snot out of the components and wiring.

OP
OP
reamest

reamest

Reaction score
Intermittent electrical issues can take a long time to troubleshoot. Do you have access to a test light, digital voltmeter and an obd2 scanner?

Ford and their infinite wisdom placed the fuse/relay box by the radiator where the engine heat can cook the snot out of the components and wiring.

Yes, yes and yes.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next time it happens check to see if the scanner can communicate with the pcm. If so then look at the signal from the crank sensor and check the fuses for the pcm with the test light.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with stamp above.

Look on page 247 of your owners manual You will see the power distribution fuse box

Pull fuse #32 and check the contact area to make sure it is clean and makes good contact in the fuse box.

Pull relay #18 (fuel pump relay) and do the same. You may also want to swap relay #18 with either relay #20 or #21 (trailer tow relays)

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to test the cam and crank sensors and inspect/toggle the wiring from them to the pcm for damage or looseness.