2011 – STD. W/O tow package –W/ Evo HT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmcox

Reaction score
I will be tow my boat (21 foot Vdrive wakeboard boat with tower @ 4500-5000lbs boat and trailer) on a few trips that are 200 miles each way this summer. I will be towing on mostly flat but the hills with be HUGE when I get to the lake area I am going to. (Ozarks – Southern Mo – Green County – NE OK).
There will be 5 people (me, wife, 10 & 7 & 4 year old kids – total 455 lbs) and simi-loaded cargo area.

When i hit the hills i will be staying in the 60 -70 MPH range and in the 70-80 on the flat land.

I do not think there is a HD tranny cooler, but at 60k I plan on added on and tranny temp, and might add oil cooler.

I currently have my Evo set to 87oct because the Max Tow requested I use 91 Oct gas.
I will be using the Tow/Haul transmission setting, however…
Should I Fill up with 91 oct and change over the max tow?
Should I just stay with the 87 oct?

OP
OP
B

brettmcox

Reaction score
Are you trying to earn a Darwin Award?

Why, i am guessing a 21 foot boat will tow fiine... speeds are not out of line...

I am just asking if the 87 oct setting is ok, or max tow is best for my needs.

5000 lbs boat and 500 lbs with people and 300 lbs of luggage... should be will under the max a 2011 exp can haul.

Last year i towed same boat with 2002 screw same no issues.

80mph might be high... but 70 should be on biggy...

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Family, kids, load in car, boat & trailer + 70-80 mph. What you are missing is:
1) The little sheet in front of you that is texting away while driving and not paying attention
2) Lengthened stopping distance due to weight + speed
3) Easy to over correct if you need to swerve
4) Front tire blow out

Middle grade wouldn't hurt.

Not telling you your business but I used to drive a semi. My loaded weight was 80.000 lbs. All of the above applies to that more so than a car. Things get real exciting if you lock up the brakes and the trailer starts swinging around or a steer tire blows. It is referred to as "pucker factor" when any of that happens. The saying goes "I need to see a surgeon to have the seat cushion removed from my azz".

If you want to make good time I'll give you some trucking secrets. The key is to keep the door shut and avoid stops. Stay in the center lane if possible to keep the lane changes to a minimum and to avoid being boxed in.
Cruise control is your friend. If you need to stop for anything then maximize it, get everything out of the way on one stop. Each time you stop usually will cost 15 minutes or more.

Last edited: