2011 EL XLT - Roof Rail dimenions needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AndyExpy3rd

Reaction score
I am 6000 miles away (out of the country) from my Expedition and need to figure out a way to fit some THULE feet (I have from a previous car) to the OEM roof rails on my Expedition.
I hate the plastic OEM crossbars, I want the sturdy THULE square bars on my roof and nothing else. We haul a lot of things on the roof (roof tent, kayaks, bikes).
I could use some info on the dimensions of the roof rail profile. I can figure out the rest from there.

Would anyone mind taking 3 measures off the Expedition 3rd gen OEM roof rail? I have attached a sketch (cross section) of the dimensions I would need. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Andy

Attachments

• OEM_roof_rail_dimensions.pdf
    141.3 KB · Views: 8

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thule 450 railing feet and some 72" bars will get you all the strength and real estate you'll need up there. They attach directly to the factory raised side rails already on your roof.

OP
OP
AndyExpy3rd

AndyExpy3rd

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, yes I know, however I wanted to reuse my Thule 415 instead of spending USD 200 for new Thule feet. Hence I asked for the dimensions so I can check and if need to be modify the Thule 415.
I do have the 47" Thule square crossbars that will fit.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense and definitely explains the "why" behind this.

Eyeballed with a tape measure:
a: 1"
b: 2 1/4"
c: ~ 1 1/8"
d: 2 1/4"