2012 is Totaled Any Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quadzilla200

Reaction score
Extremely disappointed to find out my 2012 is being totaled. I hope I get $17,500 out of it based on what the dealer is saying. I bought this two years ago at the beginning of Covid. It is a 2012 Limited with 163k on it. Put a lot of TLC into this vehicle. Changed out all the spark plugs with my dad this year. Had the transmission worked on before that since it was under warranty and replaced all the shocks last year after the air suspension went out.
This is the last type of car market I ever wanted to enter. The used values are insane. Most of the 5.4s are getting way up there and finding one owners, etc that I feel comfortable with is rare.
Question for you guys on the 3.5 generation. How are they holding up over 100k miles. I can't believe 2016-2017 are listed for $27-30k with 130k miles.
I really like the 2018 redesign and have driven those, but I'm barely finding any nationwide for around $38k with 100k. The XLT seems to have a lot of features on it. I don't care about leather, but I do need the 4x4. Do you guys think a 8-10k price difference is worth it going for the 2018 over the 2016-2017. Also, does the 3.5 require premium? I always here mixed messages on that.
I really didn't want any payments. This stinks.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cannot help on your question on the eco boost but with insurance company you can get value of your wrecked truck through KBB, Edmunds and NADA. Most insurer's will low ball there first offer as much as 30% below the true retail price and make sure you add in the sales tax you paid.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, the ecoboost does not require premium. If resale value means anything, the 4th gen is a huge improvement over the 17 and older. More room, more comfy, better drive, better economy. For the price, you would get a higher trim over the older model, and unfortunately the drive assist features aren't available in the xlt trim for 18. If you can find a rental limited trim 301 2018 for about 45k, you'd have a great truck on your hands.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EcoBoost is a great package. The only thing pushing me to GM is the 4th gens are really ugly unless you get a top tier trim like a Platinum or Stealth. The 15-17 looked decent no matter the trim…but they are getting older now.

OP
OP
Q

quadzilla200

Reaction score
I still can't believe this is $12,000 of damage, but the frame got bent in a way to where it doubled the initial estimate of $6000. I knew it was an issue since I couldn't open the passenger door, but still can't believe it equates to that much damage. I'm on the curb slope the car isn't bent like that.
Capture.JPG

OP
OP
Q

quadzilla200

Reaction score
I have no idea what they are going to give me. The totaled estimate is I think 75% of what the dealer thinks it's worth $17,500. I don't see myself getting that. I was able to drive it for three weeks after the accident except for that door being an issue.
The initial estimate came from the insurance company who came out and got under the car, but he acknowledged that he couldn't see everything without it being put up on the rack. I always assumed totaled cars were rolled or massive damage to the engine compartment and all the sensors.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the airbags didn't deploy and the seatbelt tensioners still work (if those are equipped), I would consider buying it back and fixing it at least 'good enough' right now. Car prices are outrageous and if you can adjust the fender so the door works, maybe get a grill from junk yard, and wait out the crazy prices, you're probably better off. I just had to replace my wife's car when it got totaled, but with air bags etc, it was going to cost too much to get back on the road, even with a replacement engine with only 20K on it.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you buy it back and fix it the car will be branded as totaled. It will make the vehicle very undesirable from a resale standpoint and for very little money. If you buy it, plan on fixing it correctly, keeping it and running it into the ground. Personally, I would work the insurance co as hard as possible to get the best settlement and then purchase the best, lowest mileage vehicle you can find. There is a reason why hight mileage vehicles are less money, because the vehicle has less trouble free miles left in it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65