2013 5.4l throttle cutting out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hal Ecopter

Reaction score
Hello I have a 2013 expedition with a 5.4 v8 the throttle will cut to idle in cruise driving while the pedal has not changed position. Let your foot off the pedal and reapply with no issues throttle responce restored. No codes or warning lights . Any suggestions?
Thank you

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 2013 expedition with a 5.4 v8 the throttle will cut to idle in cruise driving while the pedal has not changed position. Let your foot off the pedal and reapply with no issues throttle responce restored. No codes or warning lights . Any suggestions?
Thank you
Welcome to the forum Hal!

It could be the gas pedal electronics or the Electronic Throttle Body could be going out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal Ecopter

Hal Ecopter

Reaction score
Hello everyone tbank you for your help! I was recently driving my exped in its troubled condition when it finally cut out and left me stranded. Aftrr a long tow home i found the fuel pump 20 amp fuse was blown. After replacing the fuse it was immediately blown again. From this i dropped the fuel yank and removed the pump. There are 3 electrical wires 2 for the pump and one for i dont know what. The 3rd wite a single black was burnt and drapped across another wire for the pump consequently melting into the other wire. I replaced the pump and all issues have been corrected. With close to 200 miles on the new fuel pump the throttle issue has not occurred. Im still stumped on why the engine never died during these events but i will gladly accept the fix. Thanks for all the suggestions they have been greatly appreciated

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone tbank you for your help! I was recently driving my exped in its troubled condition when it finally cut out and left me stranded. Aftrr a long tow home i found the fuel pump 20 amp fuse was blown. After replacing the fuse it was immediately blown again. From this i dropped the fuel yank and removed the pump. There are 3 electrical wires 2 for the pump and one for i dont know what. The 3rd wite a single black was burnt and drapped across another wire for the pump consequently melting into the other wire. I replaced the pump and all issues have been corrected. With close to 200 miles on the new fuel pump the throttle issue has not occurred. Im still stumped on why the engine never died during these events but i will gladly accept the fix. Thanks for all the suggestions they have been greatly appreciated
Hal,
Glad you got it fixed, sorry that it left you stranded. I'm not sure where the wires melted but shorting wires and gasoline can't be a good mix for sure. Lucky there was no fire.

11XLdeVille

Reaction score
I've recently had the same problem as above with a 2011 XL I have owned for 6 months - fuel pump fuse blew, replaced it and blew again a few days later - all other systems good. My reliable maintenance shop spent 6 hours trying to find a short but didn't turn up anything - next step drop the tank and check connections at the pump itself? In the meantime I am carrying a half dozen 20 amp fuses with me.