2013 Expedition Front Shocks Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Read the fine print of the warranty. If it is covered they must replace it. If it isn't covered they should have pointed it out where it is stated. They may be stalling you to get you past the warranty period at which time they will be more than happy to change them for you - for big bucks.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also noticed when I was driving the car to the dealer it was shaking @ 60 MPH, is it because of the shocks?

This could be a lot of things but if the shock are leaking they should replace them. If you still have a vibration it could be a bent rim, balance bad tire etc.

I would follow stamps advice and go from there.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford might have found a cheaper source for these things in 2013. My DWs '13 has about 40k miles and slight leakage all around. Her three previous Expys had no problems with lots more miles.

Qatarguy

Reaction score
I drove around with work-out shocks for quite a while before getting both the front shocks changed at the Ford Dealership (City driving, no harm done except for a bumpy ride at times). Just noticed that with just 2000 miles run, the one on the right is leaking heavily. I am very disappointed with the quality of parts that Ford is selling now. i plan to replace them with a Bilstein strut assembly complete with Springs and Shocks once i see the left side leaking as well.

PkgingGuy

Reaction score
Hello. My 2011 had both front leaking shocks at 60k. Bouncy ride upfront terrible. Like Qatarguy, I replaced the whole assy with new springs and bilsteins about 2 years ago. Love love them.
I bought this truck used and also bought extended warranty. Struts are covered under my plan. Since Ford calls these OEM parts “shocks”, they were not covered.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello. My 2011 had both front leaking shocks at 60k. Bouncy ride upfront terrible. Like Qatarguy, I replaced the whole assy with new springs and bilsteins about 2 years ago. Love love them.
I bought this truck used and also bought extended warranty. Struts are covered under my plan. Since Ford calls these OEM parts “shocks”, they were not covered.

Send em a legalese demand letter asserting that, as the general accepted US English textbook engineering term for such assemblies is, in fact, COILOVER STRUTS, any and all attempts to deny coverage on the basis of commercial branding that uses a technically fallacious term in lieu of the accepted technical nomenclature for said assemblies constitutes fraud.

Maybe attach textbook diagrams of shock and spring vs coilover strut setups. Expeditions have coilovers on all 4 corners, no two ways about it.

Promise legal action in small claims unless they pay. They'll pay.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will spend more time in court and on lawyers than what the new struts cost. Ford has hundreds of lawyers on staff for this very purpose.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You will spend more time in court and on lawyers than what the new struts cost. Ford has hundreds of lawyers on staff for this very purpose.

Small claims doesnt have lawyers and small claims judges refuse to drag things out. Bring a photocopy of a library textbook illustration of shock and spring setups and coilover strut setups, bring an estimate for parts and labor from that very dealership, and the judge will award you that much immediately.... which they KNOW, so it'll never get to court.

You're not seeking class action and huge punitive damages, just restitution.

Companies haaaaaate small claims courts for that very reason.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having once won a small settlement against a car manufacturer (not Ford) and less than $1,000 I was happy until I never received payment. 6 years later and still nothing. But I won my court case!