2014-have had front discs resurfaced twice and rears once

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmden

Reaction score
Bought this rig July 2014 from local Ford dealership with just over 14k on it. A couple of months later (don't tow, don't own a trailer, always careful as can be with my rigs, very rarely loaded to any extent), I noticed what I thought was front disc warp and took it in for service and asked dealership to check the shimmy. Warped discs. I would've wanted a warped disc on a vehicle with 19K (at that point) to have the discs replaced but the Ford warranty says they have to keep resurfacing discs until they are out of spec in thickness. Not the best way to deal with the situation in my experience and research.

Fast forward to July 2015. Felt the disc warp again. Took it to local dealer and they found ALL four discs need resurfacing! I've never heard of that before, and again, they could only resurface all four discs due to Ford warranty constraints. At this point, I objected and called Ford warranty--they wouldn't budge. Initiated a BBB complaint and am now supposed to be having an appt. with a Ford engineer to inspect the brake system at the local dealership soon.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Thanks.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not had a similar experience with my brakes, but I have had a similar experience with my Ford warranty. It took 3 trips to get them to replace my backup camera. It took 4 trips to get my passenger side running board assembly replaced. It took 6 trips to get them to agree to replace the one on the driver side (it will actually be replaced on the 7th trip). In fact, the only reason they are replacing the driver side one at all is because I told the dealership court was next stop.

You may want to emphasize with them the fact that this is a major safety issue and that your children and elderly mother could be injured should the brakes fail to operate properly or at all.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
Well...I sure can't say I'm impressed with Ford Warranty. So far they been little short of obstructionist until initiating a BBB complaint. I don't have great hopes for what that will do either. Ford is very good at these games I have a feeling...from what I've seen so far.

Still wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of brake issue, especially since we don't tow and rarely load the rig very heavy.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be a number of things ranging from improperly torqued lug nuts to sticking calipers to low quality rotors. If you have them done again, have them make sure to torque the lugs properly or if you're ambitious, loosen them all and torque them yourself. Advance Auto and Autozone loan out torque wrenches if need be. If you continue to have these issues beyond the warranty, try replacing the rotors with another brand.

OP
OP
J

jmden

Reaction score
Thanks for the article. My guess is it could be any number of things mentioned in the article, but cheap made rotors is high on my list. I want Ford to replace them, but replace them with what? More cheap rotors?

If I have to eventually fix this myself, what rotors would folks recommend? I certainly would want to put on a good quality, well made rotor comprised of the the alloy it should be. Recomendations?