2015 Expedition (3rd Gen) - Removing second row captain's chairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Sutton

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm attempting to pull the 2nd row captain chairs out of my Expedition. I'm converting it into a micro camper and really need all the extra space I can get. I was able to remove the front plastic on the seat base, exposing the bolts that secure it to the floor. But now, I'm having some troubles getting the rear bottom plastic off the seat base. I feel if I apply any more pressure, lifting the plastic up, it's going to break. I'm pretty sure the last two bolts securing the seat to the floor are under the plastic piece in question. Does anyone have tips for getting past this step?

Appreciate any help!

OP
OP
M

Matt Sutton

Reaction score
Here's the back of the seat base:
IMG-0717.jpg

And here's the front of the seat base, showing the two bolts I can get to:
60288682857--BE544CB0-6C91-4EA4-881D-0BFFD8C404CF.jpg

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's probably secured with plastic snap clips to the other molding. Try inserting a flat head screwdriver in there and pry a little bit, till the snaps start coming off. Don't do it when it's very cold, as you risk breaking them off (plastic is much less flexible).

Car parts places and Amazon also sell car trim removal tool kits specifically designed for these kinds of jobs. It's essentially a whole variety of different prying tools.

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should refer to the factory service manual. There's a special procedure involving a "locking pin" in those outboard 2nd row seats. If you don't engage it properly, the seat frame can be damaged. As far as I know, the seat frame is neither replaceable nor serviceable. If you were to screw up and break it, you'd need to replace the entire thing (not cheap!). Also, seat attachment and installation is SAFETY CRITICAL. Another good reason to have the factory manual and follow all instructions precisely.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should refer to the factory service manual. There's a special procedure involving a "locking pin" in those outboard 2nd row seats. If you don't engage it properly, the seat frame can be damaged. As far as I know, the seat frame is neither replaceable nor serviceable. If you were to screw up and break it, you'd need to replace the entire thing (not cheap!). Also, seat attachment and installation is SAFETY CRITICAL. Another good reason to have the factory manual and follow all instructions precisely.
I would refer to my pry bar.:)

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm attempting to pull the 2nd row captain chairs out of my Expedition. I'm converting it into a micro camper and really need all the extra space I can get. I was able to remove the front plastic on the seat base, exposing the bolts that secure it to the floor. But now, I'm having some troubles getting the rear bottom plastic off the seat base. I feel if I apply any more pressure, lifting the plastic up, it's going to break. I'm pretty sure the last two bolts securing the seat to the floor are under the plastic piece in question. Does anyone have tips for getting past this step?

Appreciate any help!

Sorry I can’t help with the bolts but I’m really interested in the converting to camper part. What’s your plan? And how will you use it? I’ve thought the same, you can fit a nice mattress in there without removing any seats as is. But of course you can totally outfit the back if you remove seats. Are you removing the 3rd row too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Star-art provided the factory instructions at this forum post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2010-2008-seat-swap.29708/page-2

However, it still seems pretty confusing. One of those things - simple if you know how, impossible if you don't. If somebody could explain removing the rear seats in plain English in a few short sentances, it might just be simple {?}... such as:

"5. Seat must be in the locked position, using the shipping pin" What shipping pin? Is this something in my car, or maybe Ford ships it to me? Which part is it on the diagram? Does it stick in some particular slot? On which diagram?

"Align the shipping pin and seat base as needed." Huh? Do I need to or not? What does that mean?

Again, for anyone that has done this, a little plain English would be helpful. I am thinking... pop two plastic covers of the base, remove 4 bolts, move some pin sideways, seat pops out... haha? Thanks...

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "shipping pin" is integral to the seat frame. Apparently, if it's engaged the seat locks in the folded position. If it's not engaged, the seat can fold and unfold.

Wish I could be of more help. I've pulled the center seat before, but not the outer ones. In fact, I have a pair of Captain's chairs sitting here in my office. They were locked (folded) when I bought them and won't open up. I'm assuming the "shipping pin" is in the locked position on both of them. I've looked and I can't seem to find it! The Ford diagrams aren't very clear at all. (Note it says "Shown with the cushion removed for clarity.") Sure wish they'd included a photo instead.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry I can’t help with the bolts but I’m really interested in the converting to camper part. What’s your plan? And how will you use it? I’ve thought the same, you can fit a nice mattress in there without removing any seats as is. But of course you can totally outfit the back if you remove seats. Are you removing the 3rd row too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to drop an air mattress in there, you put MORE seats in not less

I used to have 2 rows and improvised captains (no middle) for walkthru capability but ended up putting full midrow bench rear in specifically to get a flat floor