2015 Expedition (3rd Gen) - Removing second row captain's chairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Star-art provided the factory instructions at this forum post: https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2010-2008-seat-swap.29708/page-2

However, it still seems pretty confusing. One of those things - simple if you know how, impossible if you don't. If somebody could explain removing the rear seats in plain English in a few short sentances, it might just be simple {?}... such as:

"5. Seat must be in the locked position, using the shipping pin" What shipping pin? Is this something in my car, or maybe Ford ships it to me? Which part is it on the diagram? Does it stick in some particular slot? On which diagram?

"Align the shipping pin and seat base as needed." Huh? Do I need to or not? What does that mean?

Again, for anyone that has done this, a little plain English would be helpful. I am thinking... pop two plastic covers of the base, remove 4 bolts, move some pin sideways, seat pops out... haha? Thanks...

Basically its some gizmo in the base that keeps them from tumbling or folding unfolding unless theyre bolted to the floor

I think it pretty much means if you snap it off by accident or trying to engage it while not installed you're somewhat screwed

Its mostly bs, ive had many seats in and out and reskinned in my truck and no issues

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with those 2nd row bucket seats once removed? If they are black leather, any interest in selling them?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I plan to sell them, but not right away. First I need to get take them apart and get the bottom cushions and heating elements to put in my truck. After that, I'll sell the premium leather seat covers and probably the upper cushions and the plastic trim pieces. The frames on these 2nd-row outboard seats are not really serviceable. They're supposed to be replaced as a unit. One of the connecting links/rods on at least one of the seats is broken. So, I'm not sure I will sell the frames. Besides, they are really big and really heavy. It's one thing for a salvage yard to sell parts like this as they do a lot of shipping and can get discounted rates. But, for an individual, the shipping cost could be really high.

BTW, the color on these is Charcoal Black for 2007-14 models. They fit 2015-17 but those trucks have a slightly different black called Ebony.

JC-42

Reaction score
@Menard LaDouche Did you ever find out how to remove those bolt covers? I'm having the same exact problem and am looking for a solution that doesn't involve destroying the covers.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use a vinyl prybar (amazon, ebay, or walmart, cost a couple bucks)

I've had literally every piece of plastic in the interior removed at least once and didn't break anything

PS now if you want to RESKIN seats, that's different, several of the plastics on the sides of the seats have hidden screws and trick retainers and can be broken if careless

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
I took the rear seats out also. "Pry harder" is the correct solution for the plastic piece, nothing broke, and it was pretty easy using a flat head screw driver. I put a strap on the seats to keep them shut, because I still can't figure out the locking pin mechanism. It is really awesome how much room I gained without the seats. Next I will remove the third row seats, maybe keeping one in the corner, in case the mother in law has to travel with us.

supermitch

Reaction score
I installed rear seats in mine, so I ripped the cover off to see what's under it:

DunBaBY.jpg

https://imgur.com/hUu2hVC

https://imgur.com/DunBaBY

https://imgur.com/G0PGxUZ

For your info, the "front" (towards the driver) comes out a lot easier than the back. You should be able to just reach in and pull it up. You can see the tangs aren't as sharp. The rears are sharper and in fact I have a busted one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani