2015 Expedition Limited Poor Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Noooo...that cars too beautiful to be looking like that!!! Hope all is well with it?

Aquarium-what did you end up doing? Did you take it too service to see if they could figure something out? Did you trade it in, what did you trade it for? I dont think enough people have them yet. One thing i noticed review wise was the expeditions get better marks for ride than the navis and the base suspension gets better marks than the ccd. I dont know if the lls is different since noone really comments on how those ride, i wouldnt be surprised if its tuned somewhat stiff because its a towing setup. Havent driven a 15 expy but i can say of all the 3rd gen ones i did drive these trucks have very inconsistent rides among individual vehicles some ride cotton soft on verge of bouncy while some ride rock hard. I dont know why that is though.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing i noticed review wise was the expeditions get better marks for ride than the navis and the base suspension gets better marks than the ccd. I dont know if the lls is different since noone really comments on how those ride, i wouldnt be surprised if its tuned somewhat stiff because its a towing setup. Havent driven a 15 expy but i can say of all the 3rd gen ones i did drive these trucks have very inconsistent rides among individual vehicles some ride cotton soft on verge of bouncy while some ride rock hard. I dont know why that is though.

I really loved the ride on the Navigator L I drove, but I just didn't want to go down the air suspension rabbit hole. As for the Expeditions, I drove a s*itload and there was some variation between them for sure, which I personally credited to differences in the suspension package (Rear air vs. no air), tires (A/T vs highway, different brands, etc.), tire pressure, wheel size (17", 18" and 20" are all stock offerings), suspension maintenance (in my experience, this is Ford's weak link and the systems need plenty of TLC), and of course length (standard vs. EL). Of course, if you're coming from a car or Chevy Tahoe/Suburban, you're going to find them all to have a harsh ride. With the Tahoe/Suburban, you're trading handling and stability for ride quality.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To me the gms have a better in town ride because its not as "harsh" but the fords have a better highway ride because it has a more cushy setup, the gms feel more trucky. Thats just me. Is it the same for the 15s for each. I drove a 15 silverado and it rode very nice but its more sporty. I also drove a 15 f150, i kno the f150 setup now is different from the expy but the ford rode better but did not have as good steering feel. That is good news for the new expys because the steering feel should be easy to calibrate.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've never driven a Silverado or an F150 for that matter. That aside, GM has always had a lot of play in their steering and a floaty suspension though, whereas Ford typically offers tighter steering and more road feel (sometimes at the expense of rid equality). Having owned both a Chevy Caprice and a Ford Crown Vic, I find a lot of similar comparisons between the Yukon/Suburban and Expedition/Expedition EL. Which one is better is all subjective.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
True...what year was the navi you drove? I would love to drive a 15 expy or navi but seeing as i waiting for the 18 my i dont really need to drive one.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dad was given a 15 el for a rental and i can honestly say that its not harsh by any means but its def more old school than needs to be and it shakes over every bump you roll over. That reason alone would prevent me from gettin one. The 13 i drove not alone didnt twerk like this. No excuses for that at all it feels like a pick up from well over a decade ago. Do u have that problem with ur ride quality? Does anyone else does?

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Dealer said suspension change from air to standard struts is the problem. The only way to get a good ride is to get the L because of the longer wheel base or the 22" wheel package with the adaptive ride suspension. We hoped it would get better after 5k miles but it hasn't, so will get rid of it soon. Its too bad Ford ruined these standard Expeditions with this crappy Mexico suspension.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer said suspension change from air to standard struts is the problem. The only way to get a good ride is to get the L because of the longer wheel base or the 22" wheel package with the adaptive ride suspension. We hoped it would get better after 5k miles but it hasn't, so will get rid of it soon. Its too bad Ford ruined these standard Expeditions with this crappy Mexico suspension.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 (standard length) that I purchased new. Recently, my wife has said while riding in the right front seat that the ride "felt different". (It does not have the optional rear, load-leveling shocks.)

Two weeks ago when I took the vehicle to the dealer for and oil change and tire rotation, the service advisor told me that the right front strut was leaking and would have to be replaced. The part is on order. The mileage was 5,8xx.

A long shot - but are you sure all of your struts / shocks are not leaking? Clearly in my case - I received a poor quality part (which will probably be replaced under warranty with another poor quality part.......).

Last edited: