2015 IWE vacuum check valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, is the check valve for the 2015 Expedition in the same location (and type) as the same year F-150? I'm getting a grinding in the front end during low-speed braking and coasting. I'm hoping it's just the IWEs trying to engage. A little gas and it goes away. I haven't been able to do a long-term test in 4WD to see if it does it.

I had this same (similar) thing in a 2015 F-150 and the check valve fixed me up. The symptom was a little different, though. I would get the grinding under light acceleration up to 20-25 mph. I only get it while slowing down in the Expedition.

I'm pretty sure it's not bearings, as it doesn't do it constantly.

Mike

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, is the check valve for the 2015 Expedition in the same location (and type) as the same year F-150? I'm getting a grinding in the front end during low-speed braking and coasting. I'm hoping it's just the IWEs trying to engage. A little gas and it goes away. I haven't been able to do a long-term test in 4WD to see if it does it.

I had this same (similar) thing in a 2015 F-150 and the check valve fixed me up. The symptom was a little different, though. I would get the grinding under light acceleration up to 20-25 mph. I only get it while slowing down in the Expedition.

I'm pretty sure it's not bearings, as it doesn't do it constantly.

Mike

See post #6 in this thread: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...noids-for-the-front-wheels.37482/#post-329276

I do not know if it is the same location as the F-150, but post #6 above will give you specific information.

I own a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, and replaced the check valve myself after my Ford dealer stated they could not duplicate the noise (it continued on my way home from the dealer).

The noise should only occur in 2WD (for a 4WD vehicle) - according to a Ford TSB.

OP
OP
G

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See post #6 in this thread: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...noids-for-the-front-wheels.37482/#post-329276

I do not know if it is the same location as the F-150, but post #6 above will give you specific information.

I own a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, and replaced the check valve myself after my Ford dealer stated they could not duplicate the noise (it continued on my way home from the dealer).

The noise should only occur in 2WD (for a 4WD vehicle) - according to a Ford TSB.

Yeah, I found it when I got home. To test it out, I’ve disconnected the vacuum line going to the IWEs, to keep them engaged without actually being in 4WD. I know this isn’t an issue with a part-time 2WD/4WD transfer case, but does anybody see an issue with it in a 4A transfer set to 2WD?

For a few short rides, it made the noise while slowing in 2WD. Once I removed the vacuum line, no more noise while stopping. I think that confirms it, but I’d like a longer test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk