2016 Lug Nut Replacement Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Airfix

Reaction score
I'm a new Expy owner. I went to adjust my parking brake and I'm glad I did because I found I couldn't get the wheels off because the lug nuts are all buggered up.

My 12 point socket wouldn't fit on any of the nuts. I tried the OEM lug nut wrench and it wouldn't fit. After a quick google I see that this is an issue with all expedition lug nuts.

I'm glad I found out now before I had to change a wheel on the side of the road.

Anyway what are you guys replacing your lug nuts with? I'm not against using a high quality steel lug nut with a decorative cap but would prefer a good looking single piece solution (probably chrome plated).

Any tips on how to get the old lug nuts off when my 13/16 socket doesn't fit?

Cheers,

Airfix

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used 21 or 22 mm sockets for my lugs. You can get replacements from Amazon. I can't speak to quality, as I haven't removed the lugs since I put them on.

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do they come standard with a difference size? mine are 21mm single piece chrome lugs, kinda look like dorman lugs i used to buy for my jeep liberty.

I recently had a Land Rover Discovery with the "beauty caps" design, definitely not ideal.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do they come standard with a difference size? mine are 21mm single piece chrome lugs, kinda look like dorman lugs i used to buy for my jeep liberty.

I recently had a Land Rover Discovery with the "beauty caps" design, definitely not ideal.

Not that I'm aware of. Some of mine were swollen, so the 22 mm socket fit those perfectly. The replacements were all 21 mm.

Plati

Reaction score
Seems like the top 2 are Gorilla & McGard
Just gotta make sure you get the right size / type for your veehickel

no shortage of threads for this, like
Help choose new lug nuts | Ford Expedition Forum

if a bigger socket fails then some folks have resorted to using a dremel to cut the cap off and put a socket on the steel hex head that buried underneath the beauty skin

Last edited:

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of. Some of mine were swollen, so the 22 mm socket fit those perfectly. The replacements were all 21 mm.
yeah some of mine must be swollen as well then because when I bought the truck recently the first thing I did was test the lug nut sizes and I thought they were a 22mm so I bought a dedicated 22mm impact socket later to find out that it's actually a 21mm so I bought that size as well lol ( I keep dedicated sockets in truck to not use my garage supply or socket set kit ).

interesting side note, the Land Rover Discovery i'm coming from on my previous vehicle is a 27mm lug nut, crazy!!

OP
OP
A

Airfix

Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the replies. I got busy at the weekend diagnosing and replacing the Cam Shaft Position Sensor that flung up a P0017 code. I'll get around to the lug nuts next week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65