2016 rear ac not coming on when car is started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5x10

Reaction score
everytime we get in the car and start it, my kids complain there is no ac coming out
The rear ac is controlled through the touch screen, I go to rear control and it shows to be on full blast
I have found that if I lower the fan speed to low, theb back to full speed, it will then blow appropriately

Is there something I am missing here? This doesn't seem normal to me and I would expect the rear ac to be blowing at the same speed it was when I turned the car off

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drop it a notch below full blast and then see if it comes on when you start the car

I leave my rear ac on the 4th line up from the bottom and one blue line below MAX cold and every time I start mine up the rear comes on exactly how I have it set

Now if you're using remote start the rear air won't come on but I'm sure you knew that

Since it's a 16 I'm assuming it's under warranty. Take it to the dealer they'll fix it

OP
OP

5x10

Reaction score
Drop it a notch below full blast and then see if it comes on when you start the car

I leave my rear ac on the 4th line up from the bottom and one blue line below MAX cold and every time I start mine up the rear comes on exactly how I have it set

Now if you're using remote start the rear air won't come on but I'm sure you knew that

Since it's a 16 I'm assuming it's under warranty. Take it to the dealer they'll fix it
Just over the mileage

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.....I'm 8 months in and half my 36K warranty is gone! I have a hard copy of the electrical service manual for your truck....I'll look over the weekend and will send you anything I find helpful....but in the meantime, I'd suggest that you go to your lefthand display settings and set the climate control for AUTO instead of "last setting" and see what that does? Also, make sure the actual rear seat controls in the rear seat aren't countermanding the remote settings.

jeff

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my 2017 Fusion (POS), the A/C does not turn on for 5-10 seconds after the car is started, despite the knob being cranked to the max. This makes absolutely no sense. At the time when the interior car is the hottest, there is ZERO air movement! I can also "override this by turning the knob to off, and then cranking it back to max again. Maybe it's a Ford thing...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
everytime we get in the car and start it, my kids complain there is no ac coming out
The rear ac is controlled through the touch screen, I go to rear control and it shows to be on full blast
I have found that if I lower the fan speed to low, theb back to full speed, it will then blow appropriately

Is there something I am missing here? This doesn't seem normal to me and I would expect the rear ac to be blowing at the same speed it was when I turned the car off

I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 - purchased new. It has the automatic climate control with dual-zone (front) temperature control.

After having used the system for 2+ years, I have found that it is very poorly designed and somewhat complicated to use - even for an experienced user. I can only adjust the rear controls (from the front seat) using the touchscreen, which requires MULTIPLE finger jabs to use.

Do you have the same system (or the base system)?

On my system, if I push "Max" - it overrides everything (except the rear a/c) and turns on the maximum cooling for the front. If I try to turn it down at some point, the fan control for the front will not operate unless I push the up and down fan control several times - then it reverts to the setting I had before I pushed "MAX".

Is it possible you have used the automatic setting, which may prevent the rear fan control from operating as set?

Is it possible you have accidentally turned on the rear HVAC control switch in the touch screen?

I have also noticed that the system will not always be set at what I had selected when I turn the vehicle off - than start it later.

Last year while in for service, the dealer service writer said there was a computer update for the HVAC system - which was done. Since then, anytime I have the a/c set for inside recirulation and (front) medium to high fan speed - then turn the selector to outside air, a loud "moan" sounds from the rear. I plan to return the vehicle to the dealer for evaluation (still under warranty).

OP
OP

5x10

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 - purchased new. It has the automatic climate control with dual-zone (front) temperature control.

After having used the system for 2+ years, I have found that it is very poorly designed and somewhat complicated to use - even for an experienced user. I can only adjust the rear controls (from the front seat) using the touchscreen, which requires MULTIPLE finger jabs to use.

Do you have the same system (or the base system)?

On my system, if I push "Max" - it overrides everything (except the rear a/c) and turns on the maximum cooling for the front. If I try to turn it down at some point, the fan control for the front will not operate unless I push the up and down fan control several times - then it reverts to the setting I had before I pushed "MAX".

Is it possible you have used the automatic setting, which may prevent the rear fan control from operating as set?

Is it possible you have accidentally turned on the rear HVAC control switch in the touch screen?

I have also noticed that the system will not always be set at what I had selected when I turn the vehicle off - than start it later.

Last year while in for service, the dealer service writer said there was a computer update for the HVAC system - which was done. Since then, anytime I have the a/c set for inside recirulation and (front) medium to high fan speed - then turn the selector to outside air, a loud "moan" sounds from the rear. I plan to return the vehicle to the dealer for evaluation (still under warranty).
That's the same system I have, have to select climate, then rear, once that pops up, turn it down then back up

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just over the mileage
If it's just over the mileage, I would still take it to them. They should be able to help you out. If it's a couple thousand over they probably will not but if it's only a couple hundred over, they will probably will. Talk to the service manager.

Reaction score
I have this same issue! Have an appointment next week with dealer as we are still under warranty (5K miles) and just bought the car. We have an overall issue with A/C that I posted in the A/C forum, but noticed this same thing when turning on the car. I keep getting the question from the back seat if the A/C is on and usually I have to go back into the screen and turn it back on - again. Will post back if the dealer gives me any details...

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this same issue! Have an appointment next week with dealer as we are still under warranty (5K miles) and just bought the car. We have an overall issue with A/C that I posted in the A/C forum, but noticed this same thing when turning on the car. I keep getting the question from the back seat if the A/C is on and usually I have to go back into the screen and turn it back on - again. Will post back if the dealer gives me any details...
Welcome to the Forum Idaho!