2017 brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a new-to-me 2017, bought in April. It has just about 50000 miles.

When I rotated the tires, I noticed the front brakes had been recently done, pads and rotors. The rears were original. However on looking at the rears I noticed the inner pads were almost like new, while the outer ones both sides only had about 1/8" left. I am about to change them.

Has anyone else noticed this? My 06 wore the pads much more evenly and were good for about 80000 miles before pads (and rotors; it costs as much to cut them as quality new rotors) needed to be replaced.

Pads are wearing evenly, no taper, just excessive wear on outer pads and rotor faces.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score

When I rotated the tires, I noticed the front brakes had been recently done, pads and rotors. The rears were original. However on looking at the rears I noticed the inner pads were almost like new, while the outer ones both sides only had about 1/8" left. I am about to change them.

Has anyone else noticed this? My 06 wore the pads much more evenly and were good for about 80000 miles before pads (and rotors; it costs as much to cut them as quality new rotors) needed to be replaced.

Pads are wearing evenly, no taper, just excessive wear on outer pads and rotor faces.

When you change the rear pads, conduct some maintenance on the calipers. Rear brakes don't do much work, compared to the fronts, unless you tow a lot and the calipers can get a bit "sticky" with corrosion and dirt. I would not be concerned at all about having purchased a problem.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I bought a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. Although it has the HD tow package, I have never towed or hauled heavy charge - strictly passenger use. I do not live in a mountainous area, and often drive on rural, two-lane highways.

At 45,*** miles - the rear brake pads had 10% wear left. The fronts were close to being worn out. At 25,*** miles, the dealer had machined all four rotors as they were all out-of-round.

I replaced the front and rear pads and rotors with OEM Motorcraft parts. It was my feeling that the brakes on the Expedition are not high quality, since I do not tow (and the vehicle was rated for 9,200 pounds of towing..), and they wore out rather quickly. I did not want to use aftermarket parts, as I usually use OEM parts on my vehicles.

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you change the rear pads, conduct some maintenance on the calipers. Rear brakes don't do much work, compared to the fronts, unless you tow a lot and the calipers can get a bit "sticky" with corrosion and dirt. I would not be concerned at all about having purchased a problem.
As for the caliper maintenance, you can count on it. Have never seen pads wear like this on more than one caliper at a time. Am thinking slider pins hanging or inside pad not sliding as it should. Good advice, thanks!