2017 Expedition EL-Child seats / Top Tethers

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by JoeyJohnson, Oct 10, 2018.

1. JoeyJohnson

JoeyJohnson Member

Unfortunately, MOST EL's are way out of our range. And then the 2018s have that super awesome 2nd row tilting feature that would make our lives SO MUCH easier, but they are also about $20,000 our of our price range. The only EL that we found that is in our price and driving range has the second row bench instead of the buckets. Buckets would make things easier though.

My husband and I were literally doing this. My vote went out to the 3 year old in the 3rd row, because he can be quite handy getting himself in his car seat; and my daughter (6) can be our helper in the 2nd row.

2. Black

Black Full Access Members

We have this booster that has the chest and crotch straps but pretty sure one must use the latch system for those to work.
    It transitions to a high back belt routing booster as well, then to the little bottom booster with no belt routing.

Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat, Proof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2RNRCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Sa6VBbEVMNTVR

We have a standard Evenflo belt positioning high back booster in the Highlander 3rd row.

JoeyJohnson likes this.
  3. Habbibie

Habbibie Robot Generated Member Supporting Member

@JoeyJohnson I gave your post a like because you're the first new member that can actually "multi quote" replies all in one lol. I get the safety factor I guess you have a point there, but yea i think the extra space in the EL would allow a stroller to fit, otherwise the short wheel base will not, that I know 100% is true cause my expedition cant fit a stroller if the 3rd row is up

4. ManUpOrShutUp

ManUpOrShutUp Full Access Members

You can always remove the center seat if you decide that will work better for you. In the 2018 the 2nd row seats tilt for easier access to the 3rd row and all 6 seats have tether anchors. I don't know if either of those things is true on the 2017, but I suppose you can check when you go to see the '17 EL in person.

5. outdare

outdare Active Member

My 17 platinum has a center teether on the third row. I have four kids and we cargo fold the passengers second row seat. It makes it easier to get to the back seat. I would recommend a 4 point safety seat for your escape artist. It would use the seat belt to attach, but with a little training they would be able to buckle themselves. Also there are no bottom attachments for the car seats. You would have to belt them in.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  6. bauer4567

bauer4567 Member

I have a 1 and 2 YO and we often have my 8 year old cousin and 2 girls my wife babysits... easiest we have found is leaving the drivers (or passengers) 2nd row side seat out. Our 1 and 2 year olds stay in the 2nd row side by side in the middle and passenger seat and the 3rd row also has 2 rear facing car seats and booster seat for the 8 year old. He helps get them in and out, but it is a good option!

I leave the drivers side 2nd row seat out all the time, since I have a small office space setup for my mobile office in that spot. Nothing special, just gives me a lot of flexibility for space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JoeyJohnson

JoeyJohnson Member

Update: due to a lack of willing grandparents combined with my unwillingness to look at cars with 3 kids in tow, we had to postpone our car search to either this Wednesday or Friday. I am excited. Will definitely look at all of your suggestions: taking out the middle seat in the 2nd row (I found a useful youtube video!) or the drivers/passengers seat in the 2nd row, and the alternative boosters.

8. JoeyJohnson

JoeyJohnson Member

I am rather tech-savy. Thank you. ;)

At one point, we managed to fit four kids PLUS a double stroller in a ford explorer. That was nothing short of impressive, and a huge pain in the rump. I highly doubt we will be repeating such brave antics. It's an EL or bust.