2017 Expedition EL-Child seats / Top Tethers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

JoeyJohnson

Reaction score
Second row bench seat has 3 tethers. Bucket seat version only has two.

The bucket seat version offers much more convenient access to the third seat. If you get the bucket seat version pick which three children you value most. ;) (Sorry, couldn't resist and solutions have been offered.)

Most 4-year olds (or 40 pounds) can use a belt positioning booster seat and the lap/shoulder belts which don't require a tether and probably have no way to use one.

-- Chuck
Unfortunately, MOST EL's are way out of our range. And then the 2018s have that super awesome 2nd row tilting feature that would make our lives SO MUCH easier, but they are also about $20,000 our of our price range. The only EL that we found that is in our price and driving range has the second row bench instead of the buckets. Buckets would make things easier though.

My husband and I were literally doing this. My vote went out to the 3 year old in the 3rd row, because he can be quite handy getting himself in his car seat; and my daughter (6) can be our helper in the 2nd row.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have this booster that has the chest and crotch straps but pretty sure one must use the latch system for those to work.
It transitions to a high back belt routing booster as well, then to the little bottom booster with no belt routing.

Graco Tranzitions 3-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat, Proof https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2RNRCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Sa6VBbEVMNTVR

We have a standard Evenflo belt positioning high back booster in the Highlander 3rd row.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
@JoeyJohnson I gave your post a like because you're the first new member that can actually "multi quote" replies all in one lol. I get the safety factor I guess you have a point there, but yea i think the extra space in the EL would allow a stroller to fit, otherwise the short wheel base will not, that I know 100% is true cause my expedition cant fit a stroller if the 3rd row is up

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, MOST EL's are way out of our range. And then the 2018s have that super awesome 2nd row tilting feature that would make our lives SO MUCH easier, but they are also about $20,000 our of our price range. The only EL that we found that is in our price and driving range has the second row bench instead of the buckets. Buckets would make things easier though.

My husband and I were literally doing this. My vote went out to the 3 year old in the 3rd row, because he can be quite handy getting himself in his car seat; and my daughter (6) can be our helper in the 2nd row.

You can always remove the center seat if you decide that will work better for you. In the 2018 the 2nd row seats tilt for easier access to the 3rd row and all 6 seats have tether anchors. I don't know if either of those things is true on the 2017, but I suppose you can check when you go to see the '17 EL in person.

outdare

Reaction score
My 17 platinum has a center teether on the third row. I have four kids and we cargo fold the passengers second row seat. It makes it easier to get to the back seat. I would recommend a 4 point safety seat for your escape artist. It would use the seat belt to attach, but with a little training they would be able to buckle themselves. Also there are no bottom attachments for the car seats. You would have to belt them in.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
8ddee2babff0071f6e0894404b82783a.jpg

Last edited:

bauer4567

Reaction score
I have a 1 and 2 YO and we often have my 8 year old cousin and 2 girls my wife babysits... easiest we have found is leaving the drivers (or passengers) 2nd row side seat out. Our 1 and 2 year olds stay in the 2nd row side by side in the middle and passenger seat and the 3rd row also has 2 rear facing car seats and booster seat for the 8 year old. He helps get them in and out, but it is a good option!

I leave the drivers side 2nd row seat out all the time, since I have a small office space setup for my mobile office in that spot. Nothing special, just gives me a lot of flexibility for space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JoeyJohnson

Reaction score
Update: due to a lack of willing grandparents combined with my unwillingness to look at cars with 3 kids in tow, we had to postpone our car search to either this Wednesday or Friday. I am excited. Will definitely look at all of your suggestions: taking out the middle seat in the 2nd row (I found a useful youtube video!) or the drivers/passengers seat in the 2nd row, and the alternative boosters.

OP
OP
J

JoeyJohnson

Reaction score
@JoeyJohnson I gave your post a like because you're the first new member that can actually "multi quote" replies all in one lol. I get the safety factor I guess you have a point there, but yea i think the extra space in the EL would allow a stroller to fit, otherwise the short wheel base will not, that I know 100% is true cause my expedition cant fit a stroller if the 3rd row is up
I am rather tech-savy. Thank you. ;)

At one point, we managed to fit four kids PLUS a double stroller in a ford explorer. That was nothing short of impressive, and a huge pain in the rump. I highly doubt we will be repeating such brave antics. It's an EL or bust.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW: as you can see in my sig....I was driving these while raising only 3 children but we bought my wife a T&C Minivan, 17K miles for about the same money years ago....we always took the van on trips...much nicer ride then my truck and as was mentioned...stroller room to boot!

jeff
We had a 2006 Dodge Caravan. It worked for us but did not have much space behind the third row. Only minivan I liked was the 2003 Chevy Venture. Since then mimic and have been getting smaller it seems. Looked at Dodge Grand Caravans before the Expedition in Janaury. I have more room with third row up in the EL.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am rather tech-savy. Thank you. ;)

At one point, we managed to fit four kids PLUS a double stroller in a ford explorer. That was nothing short of impressive, and a huge pain in the rump. I highly doubt we will be repeating such brave antics. It's an EL or bust.

When my two oldest were younger we managed double stroller, 2 car seats, and groceries in 69 VW Bug. Stroller in trunk with milk/juice/soda bottles. Bag of groceries around car seats and behind seat. Eggs in wife’s lap.