2017 factory brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The factory brake controller does more than stop the trailer (which the P3 will do wonderfully). The first time I connected to my camper with the '17 truck the dash display informed me a brake light on the trailer was out (it may have told me which one). And it has the ability to setup and store several trailers with different brake configurations.

The factory brake controller may be an integral part of the trailer sway control system as well. This same trailer suffered a catastrophic tire blow out (not merely a flat tire) at speed on the Ohio Turnpike. I thought I'd been struck from behind. Pulled safely to the shoulder of the Turnpike. Guys repairing the tire complimented me on my driving skills getting safely off the road. Heck, I just put my flashers on and pulled over without additional excitement. Laying on my belly on the shoulder to change the wheel I discovered a surprising quantity of gravel and small metal parts off other vehicles. A 1-12 ton Harbor Freight floor jack travels with the trailer -- first time I needed it.

Tires were all at proper pressure but were old. I knew better than to run ST tires older than 4 years but was sure I could get away with the tires 'cuz they looked good. Entire section of tire blew out. Some damage to the trailer underside but the tanks weren't touched. Five new tires on new wheels went on the trailer a few days after aborting the trip and parking the trailer in my driveway.

-- Chuck

Last edited:

Don Plata

Reaction score
The factory brake controller does more than stop the trailer (which the P3 will do wonderfully). The first time I connected to my camper with the '17 truck the dash display informed me a brake light on the trailer was out (it may have told me which one). And it has the ability to setup and store several trailers with different brake configurations.

The factory brake controller may be an integral part of the trailer sway control system as well. This same trailer suffered a catastrophic tire blow out (not merely a flat tire) at speed on the Ohio Turnpike. I thought I'd been struck from behind. Pulled safely to the shoulder of the Turnpike. Guys repairing the tire complimented me on my driving skills getting safely off the road. Heck, I just put my flashers on and pulled over without additional excitement. Laying on my belly on the shoulder to change the wheel I discovered a surprising quantity of gravel and small metal parts off other vehicles. A 1-12 ton Harbor Freight floor jack travels with the trailer -- first time I needed it.

Tires were all at proper pressure but were old. I knew better than to run ST tires older than 4 years but was sure I could get away with the tires 'cuz they looked good. Entire section of tire blew out. Some damage to the trailer underside but the tanks weren't touched. Five new tires on new wheels went on the trailer a few days after aborting the trip and parking the trailer in my driveway.

-- Chuck
This is exactly why I wanted to get the integrated controller to work! Can't wait to use it this weekend!

Jim Johnson

Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead because it's hard to find good information on the internet on this particular thing for Expeditions.

What I found is that the F-150 spreadsheet for Forscan works just fine. As does the controller if you can't find an Expedition specific one. The problem with the F-150 one is it's tapered oddly and will require a bit of fitting for the bezel to snap in cleanly but it's easier to find and when you have to have one you have to have it. I did a four wire to seven wire conversion plug and just spliced in the brake control wire. It's easily the nicest brake controller I've ever used and well worth the effort.

No additional power to my toy hauler and I plan to address that with a Harbor Freight solar panel and and a deep cycle battery. For now we'll just use my battery charger and top it off in about an before we hit the road. It sits outside all week and only sees use on Friday nights. Over the off season it's stored in a barn. Since my trailer is also set up for 110 generator power as well I always have that option.

The toy hauler is used as a band trailer. It's a full-height 20 footer that weighs somewhere around 3,800 pounds empty. With the equalizing hitch you can pull it like there's nothing back there. Granted, it's a great trailer but the Expedition is a really nice tow vehicle. I would have never believed it out of a six cylinder. We had considered trading it down for a smaller trailer but that's off the table now.

DExpy17

Reaction score
My local dealer told me the same thing after having my ‘17 Xlt El for 3days. I gave up and bought a hopkins 7 pin and brake controller and had that working in 20 minutes.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Uncle just upgraded or d/graded trucks. He had a 2013 Limited F150 with the factory brake controller. Traded for a 2017 XLT F-150 that didn't even have a hitch or plug in the rear. He added the hitch and 7 pin hookup, and towed his 28ft camper through the mountains with no brake controller, like it was nothing. He said he was told the truck didn't need anything extra. And imo the transmission seamed to do most of the braking. All I have is a utility trailer, that I tow atv's on. It's just a single axle, so I don't need brakes. Plus the wife won't let me hook nothing to her new Expedition, lol! Anyway the dealer my Uncle talk to lead him to believe the truck didn't need anything? Not like a couple of you are saying, that you were told they don't make a controller for the Expedition.

iimagine

2016 EL XLT
Reaction score
My Uncle just upgraded or d/graded trucks. He had a 2013 Limited F150 with the factory brake controller. Traded for a 2017 XLT F-150 that didn't even have a hitch or plug in the rear. He added the hitch and 7 pin hookup, and towed his 28ft camper through the mountains with no brake controller, like it was nothing. He said he was told the truck didn't need anything extra. And imo the transmission seamed to do most of the braking. All I have is a utility trailer, that I tow atv's on. It's just a single axle, so I don't need brakes. Plus the wife won't let me hook nothing to her new Expedition, lol! Anyway the dealer my Uncle talk to lead him to believe the truck didn't need anything? Not like a couple of you are saying, that you were told they don't make a controller for the Expedition.
FL1Z-2C006-D is the part number.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The F150 controller will drop in, Forscan can set this up and the wiring may already be there.

Towing a 28ft camper thru even the Ohio "mountains" without working brakes is irresponsible. No doubt the truck can tow it but stopping it in an emergency is something else. Trailers in this size range are legally required to have brakes and no doubt has electric brakes. Since the trailer lacks surge brakes the implied (and no doubt legal) requirement is the tow vehicle must be equipped to activate them and hooked up. There are liability issues here too.

The Expedition and F150 can easily handle brake-less light utility and boat trailers. The best boat trailer brakes are electric activated hydraulic. Uhaul trailers typically have surge brakes.

-- Chuck

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck,

Yeah I was worried about it for sure. And this wasn't in Ohio, we drove from W.Va through Ky. & Va. then to Tnn, and back. Seamed to stop fine, but I wasn't driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk