2017 paint issue, it is only 2 years old.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it begins. Sorry if the pics don't come out well. It rained last night & I keep my Expy washed so it is really reflective and I'm standing on a tree protection barrier with gravel on it. nyway I knew it was coming but still am disappointed with paint peeling of a 2 year old $55k plus MSRP vehicle. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I paid $70+ thousand for a top of the line model and this happened.

This did not happen on the hood or hatch (can't wait for that to start). This is on the passenger rear door trim piece and a little coming off the door itself. I'll show the Ford service advisor on the next service visit to get it on the record knowing I'll get the can't do anything until it rust all the way through answer.

I hate any defects in a vehicle, This will just gnaw at me especially when I'm driving down salty winter roads here in NYS.

IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4487.JPG

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
That doesn't look like the "paint bubbling problem".
I'm guessing that's a different problem … ****+y paint job.
Needs repainting?

With the "paint bubbling problem, there's always white dust underneath.
Methinks.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can't really tell, but is that the one where a panel looks like it has massive water spotting, but it won't wash off and feels rough to the touch?

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is paint flaking off in that particular spot. The car was probably dirty in that area (as in not properly decontaminated) when it went to the paint shop at the factory.

My old Explorer had the same issue... actually they all did, in the same areas on the body - front fenders near the bumper, to be more specific. I'd say a Ford dealership should address it on warranty... or at least give you a free bottle of touch up paint, if the warranty is expired.

OP
OP
C

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The water spots are from it sitting in the rain and the drive in to work. They just wash off. It is paint flaking off. Hopefully just on the trim piece, hopefully not the metal. I'm just disappointed as this will only get worse and require repair. This is the 1st vehicle I have owned that had a paint issue.

Jst ROM

Reaction score
To the OP:

A couple of factors that did this to your paint it could of been going through car washes or driving down the road/highway and gotten chipped by a rock, it's fixable. If you take it to a body shop I'm assuming they'll charge you $100+ for it, our paint doesn't come cheap especially if it's metallic. By the looks of it, it's not deep it hasn't gone down to bare metal and to its primer/base coat. Depending on your DIY skill level you can do this in about 1-3hrs. The easiest way clean the surrounding area and use a touch up pen.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not sure it this applies in this case but on page 11 of the 2017 Ford Car Light Truck Warranty Guide it states

If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have a chip on both your door and the lower plastic panel.
Those two items are painted separately at the assembly line.
The chips just happen to be at the same spot on both panels?
Am I the only one who actually looked at these pictures?

Somebody or something has pushed the two together with enough force to create a tear, the resulting flake is what you see. Just because a ding or dent impression wasn't left doesn't mean it didn't happen. I mean if the flakes were inches apart, or only one panel had paint flaking off, I'd be with you, but please, look at the pictures. They are worth 1000 words.

Why would Ford cover damage? Moreover, why wouldn't you do something about it now?

Your tone/comments kind of suggest your mindset is that every current and all future paint defects are 100% Fords fault. Thats sad.

uberdog

Reaction score
Same issue on my 2017, also black. Noted for others searching. The paint peels off in neat little layers. Not corrosion, but clearly and factory flex paint on plastic issue. My truck is used of towing and road trips a few times a year, otherwise in the garage.