2018 Expedition Gearing Option Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Jones

Reaction score
Looking to pull the trigger on a 2018 Expedition 4x4 limited and having difficult time deciding between 3.31 non-limited slip and the 3.73 Electronic Limited Slip.

This will be replacing a 2011 F150 4x4 Off road and will be the main family hauler.

Driving Conditions:
Mix of city and highway driving 50/50
Lead foot and hit the highways around 80mph
regularly driving up to the Sierra's (tahoe area) during summer and winter with a pretty full load (4 adults, 1 kid and gear).
Some light offroad (fire trails, etc.)
Very little towing, but tow a 6,000lbs ski boat twice a year on flat highway.

I've only used the locking rear on my F150 4-5 times over the last 7 years and probably wasn't truly necessary, just a precaution.

My first instinct was to go to the 3.31 just to save on MPG due to my lead foot on the highway and keeping the RPM's down, but struggling with the decision and the limited slip with the 3.73.

I know I will miss the acceleration of the 3.73 off the line and while towing, but thinking the new 10 speed transmission would be fine.

any advice would be helpful.

-Ryan

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. Get the tow pkg, youll recieve everything youll want and need and make your powertrain more durable for the lead footedness, which youll def have with this engine. Your mpg is pretty negligible, u thinkin about fe but having keeping your foot on the gas is an oxymoron lol. If you baby the engine, your mpg will be great regardless of drivetrain.

OP
OP
R

Ryan Jones

Reaction score
great feedback, thank you. I know having a lead foot and good MPG is an oxymoron... HA! I always say I'll be better and save gas, but it only lasts a couple days. We need goals, right?
Do the higher RPM's at FWY speeds prematurely wear out the engine or is the difference negligible?

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
negligible. it may equal 200 rpm. i cant remember but i want to say 80 was hovering at 2000rpm

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.31 rear axle 4x4 max has a maximum towing capacity of 6000lbs with a GCWR of 12,400lbs. That’d be without anybody else besides the driver and no gear... You should get the FX4 or max trailer package. Personally, I’ve ordered one with both packages. As for durability, while you might get some savings from the lower RPMs with the 3.31, you’ll lose more due to the higher engine temps as the 3.73 comes with an upgraded radiator.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
3.73 for sure. Especially if you’ll be doing any mountain driving.

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get the 3.73. You will want the limited slip for pulling your boat up the launch ramp.
brick