2018 Expedition Max rental

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Ford tried to split the difference and the 3rd gen was the "value priced leader" compared to the GM..."
It worked.......I got a used limited EL. Started missing my Suburban immediately. Still trying to figure out if my rear sunroof drains are clogged, or if they just get overwhelmed:( I've had water run down my headliner and through both of my center vents and down the plastic on both of my C pillars. Got mine used and outside of warranty. .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It worked.......I got a used limited EL. Started missing my Suburban immediately. Still trying to figure out if my rear sunroof drains are clogged, or if they just get overwhelmed:( I've had water run down my headliner and through both of my center vents and down the plastic on both of my C pillars. Got mine used and outside of warranty. .

My 07’ has 170,000 miles on it and has been a wonderful vehicle. Never have had a drop of water in the cabin (unless I spilled it) :).

Statistically speaking the Expedition has been more reliable and longer lasting than the GM competitors. Multiple studies available. This is due to a more simple and robust built truck with less to go wrong. (Gen 1-3).

You make some good points Shane, but I think ford still needs those bread and butter sales. They send me offers and flyers on the latest and greatest Expedition multiple times a year, they’ve never sent this non Platinum buyer anything for a CUV or Car......js. Explorer sales are also not as high as previous either, and that’s a crossover. I can’t change the market trend, but I think consumers overall are starting to vote with their wallets, and a change will occur. Can’t take away that they are building nice trucks.

Last edited:

hueyf4i

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07’ has 170,000 miles on it and has been a wonderful vehicle. Never have had a drop of water in the cabin (unless I spilled it) :).

Statistically speaking the Expedition has been more reliable and longer lasting than the GM competitors. Multiple studies available. This is due to a more simple and robust built truck with less to go wrong. (Gen 1-3).
I've seen and talked to others on the forum that own the same one I have and they have the same issue. Guess we just got one of the bad batches. I pulled several panels today and have noticed that the headliner and passenger side C pillar hardware has all been replaced at least once. So someone tried to solve the water leak before.....maybe they just treated the symptoms and not the source. I'll likely pull the whole headliner and all of the plastic in the spring and hopefully solve the issue for good!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen and talked to others on the forum that own the same one I have and they have the same issue. Guess we just got one of the bad batches. I pulled several panels today and have noticed that the headliner and passenger side C pillar hardware has all been replaced at least once. So someone tried to solve the water leak before.....maybe they just treated the symptoms and not the source. I'll likely pull the whole headliner and all of the plastic in the spring and hopefully solve the issue for good!

Is yours a 2017? They had a large run of 2017s with water intrusion issues.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm here because I needed a road trip vehicle that will tow our 7000 lb travel trailer while being comfortable for family of four plus two dogs. Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee previously with a 7200 lb rating and it was decent when towing but too close to the edge for peace of mind. Great car otherwise. Pickups were out because don't want dogs riding in non-climate-controlled area. GM's can't take the grandparents with us (unusable 3rd row), Euros got nothing and Japan has decade-old also-rans. I like all the luxury and features and would not consider the Expy if they were still in the "value" segment like previous gens.

Goes without saying but to each their own. There are much cooler, faster, more luxurious, more cost-effective SUVs out there but this was the only one that ticked all the important boxes.

Flexpy19

Reaction score
I agree that for a true three row people hauler the 4th gen Expy is pretty tough to beat. I would probably fit into as one poster referred to as the Instagram Truck crowd. I’m probably not going to change my own oil or haul landscaping equipment with it. But as a regular dad with 4 kids, a wife and dog plus tons of sports gear it gets the job done. For the OP who blames consumers like me for paying Ford the high prices for these, show me a true 7 passenger SUV that doesn’t require a Thule mounted on top to go to hockey practice or a weekend trip. It’s the suburban/Yukon XL, and comparably equipped the Expy is very competitive price wise to those, and I like the Yukon but it is overdue for its refresh. I’m not going to make a choice based upon whether it has a dial or column mounted transmission shifter or some issue with the buttons on the steering wheel.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, no car comes close to the expy n shear usefulness. if you want a seven to eight passenger hauler with actual comfort, only a minivan will do as well, which in actuality isnt the case with the new one. If you wanna better cargo hauler, youd need a full sized van, but you lose road comfort and ppl hauling capabilities. You can get a pick up to tow, but realistically, if you maxing out an expys tow rating on a half ton, you may need a 3/4 ton, but each has their own set of compromises. Also pickups arent as safe as well. Any other large 7+ passenger vehicle has too many compromises; the euro trucks(sugar babies) ride n handle well but are sized like mid sizers and reach 90k+ for tech(dont let car and driver fool you, you are not getting a comparable gls on even plat expy dime). The japanese trucks(old plumpers) ride closer to cars, are cheaper and appointed luxuriously but are long in tooth, outdated in tech, and horribly inefficient. The gms(instagram models) are more basic platform wise but gm updates them meaningfully to keep interest up, and they look good. Crossovers(immature soul mate) drive smaller and are cheaper, but arent as strong, just as inefficient and nowhere near as roomy. Fords fs suvs(soul mate) have a great drive balance, the best use of space, strong, but efficient when wanted. As good as the last gen was(i was one of the few who never thought the gms were better this gen), ford let it overstay its welcome until my15 when it was 3 yrs too late. Looks non notwithstanding, the 4th gen is way more truck than alotta ppl give it credit. And even then, i cant hate the look becuz it has so many homages to the previous gens, esp the 2nd gen, which to me is the prettiest. The problems/rough edges us impatient ones are facing will be smoothed over by 2020 and by then hlf of you who say its too tame, feminine, or crossovery gonna be like "yea i liked it all along, it just needed xx pkg"(hell its happening now with the stealth pkg).

OP
OP
metaldrgn

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Obviously I disagree (it's a body-on-frame vehicle with available 4wd and a locking rear that can tow 9000lbs and has almost 10" of ground clearance, I am not sure what mini vans you know of like that).

But even if I did agree with you...SO WHAT?!?!

Ok, they made it more appealing to women. Those damn suits on the top floor and their desire to make money by appealing to a wider demographic...how dare them?! (If you can't see me, I'm shaking my fist at the sky.)

And if "more soccer mom mini van/SUV" means I can have comfortable leather, lots of room, heated and cooled and massaging everything, retractable running boards, lots of power, good sound system, a unbelievably comfortable ride, 10" of ground clearance, etc...SIGN ME UP. Me and any women that want to buy one too. All the men who don't want to buy one because "it's sissy" can go buy a "real truck". And have essentially the same thing I do, but no third row and no covered/enclosed cargo space.
It isn't that comfortable. I can't speak to the later models but my 01 Yukon had 4 way lumbar adjustments and the seat moved seperately from the back so you could get the lumbar in just the right way in your back for max comfort. Th is expedition only has 2 way lumbar adjustments and the seat is connected to the back so if it isn't in the right vertical position you just have to deal with it. That being said it is starting to hurt my back. I don't know if I would want this on long trips. Also this is the limited version.