Help drive on bumpy roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tj8522

Reaction score
I live in the city and the roads here are not to good, my 2019 expedition xlt (normal shocks) drives rough on the bumpy roads. Would the billstein 5100 help with this? Also would the hellwig rear sway bar help with the car moving side to side after riding over bumps?

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in the city and the roads here are not to good, my 2019 expedition xlt (normal shocks) drives rough on the bumpy roads. Would the billstein 5100 help with this? Also would the hellwig rear sway bar help with the car moving side to side after riding over bumps?

Theoretically, a thicker or stiffer rear sway bar will not improve ride quality/comfort because it acts to reduce the independence of the rear suspension.

OP
OP
T

tj8522

Reaction score
Would you recommend billsteins or softer shocks for a smoother ride on the rough city roads ?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Different vehicle tbh. There's a lot of ppl who try to "fix" the ride on these trucks to no avail. But if you wanna keep it, start with tires. All the struts available add control but make the ride stiffer.

OP
OP
T

tj8522

Reaction score
Ok, my mechanic did tell me the tires on my expedition were not the best ( the ones I got when I bought it). Do you have any recommendation for good tires?

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theoretically, a thicker or stiffer rear sway bar will not improve ride quality/comfort because it acts to reduce the independence of the rear suspension.
I disagree...........replaced front and rear shocks with Bilstein's and replaced both sway bars with Hellwig products and it made a big difference to the ride quality. 2019 XLT 40K. 20 " tires. The sway effect in the rear is diminished considerably.My experience and my opinion only.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I disagree...........replaced front and rear shocks with Bilstein's and replaced both sway bars with Hellwig products and it made a big difference to the ride quality. 2019 XLT 40K. 20 " tires. The sway effect in the rear is diminished considerably.My experience and my opinion only.

There are a lot more variables in your setup. Will a stiffer sway bar make the vehicle perform better in a sweeper? Probably.

But the OP's question was about ride comfort on bumpy surfaces which I assumed was generally a straight line. In this case, a sway bar has the effect of making independent suspension behave more like a solid axle. Theoretically, it would reduce ride comfort on a bumpy surface - how much? That's up for debate.

OP
OP
T

tj8522

Reaction score
I been thinking that the hellwig sway bars would reduce the sway effect when riding over bumps, did adding them reduce the side to sidesway when riding over bumps?

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I been thinking that the hellwig sway bars would reduce the sway effect when riding over bumps, did adding them reduce the side to sidesway when riding over bumps?
One has to keep in mind, this is on a truck platform. My upgrade to Bilsteins was inacted to research and this website. I had 38k on my vehicle with a leaking profusely front shock. (factory) Could not see replacing that failured part with another OEM part. I never seen a failed shock leak so badly. Decided to replace all with with Bilstein along with said Hellwegs. Sway from side to side definitely was reduced. Driving over bumps? I have 20" Firestones with 5K on them. Floats down the highway that is all I was concerned about. Bumps on street driving........it is what it is.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, my mechanic did tell me the tires on my expedition were not the best ( the ones I got when I bought it). Do you have any recommendation for good tires?
Depending on how much you want to spend, I love my Michelin Defenders. They are a bit pricey. But with the longevity and ride, I'd replace them again. And I'm running 22s.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65