Help drive on bumpy roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I felt a huge difference in ride quality going from my OE tires to Michelin Defenders.

Moeman

Reaction score
We just bought a 22 Expedition for my wife. We also could not believe how jittery the ride was. The road can look perfectly fine, but it feels like you're hitting small bumps/cracks in the pavement. I think what you're likely complaining about is a resonance problem in the frame. Years ago when they were C-channel in the back, normal mode was very low, and hence not terribly offensive. It just felt like a little bit of float in the boat. Now they've stiffened the crap out of the frame which pushes the frequency higher. So any impact sets the frame into resonance and it takes a second or so to dampen itself out. We've thus far changed wheels and tires - went from stock 20/55 to 20/60 Sumitomo Encounter (cheap and very good reviews). I wouldn't call it night/day, but I do think the ride is slightly better. We're also considering Bilstein's, mostly to lift the front slightly. It's possible that it could transmit less impact to the frame if they have some compliance in the high speed compression. But, I'm also not holding my breath. If they have a rear spring sized to be able to handle a few thousand extra pounds, it's going to be stiff and there's only so much you can do with a shock. Think Super Duty. They don't start to smooth out until you have a half ton in the bed.

azfitch

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Dealer says my struts are fine. Visually no oil and they aren’t locked up. Going to get them checked out again next time in for an oil change. Thinking about trying out some new Michelin after reading comments on this thread and looking at at other threads

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put this in the nav forum as someone is having issues with their trucks ride. Unfortunately, this is with ccd, not base springs. When I had my limited expy, some days, the ride was luxury car smooth, and some days, it felt like a shopping cart. My nav doesn't have such wide disparities in ride, but it still has those differences. Hopefully you or someone can get some use out of the post without spending hundreds of dollars.

There is something I do when I feel my truck is riding less than optimally. It may seem counter intuitive but it works for me atleast.

As I stated before, there are times when the ride is worse than normal, the dampers feel too stiff but the springs arent adjusted accordingly(i know the spring rates dont change, but somehow the springs do react to the damper changes in each specific mode to help body motion), so every bump causes pitchy motions. When it does this, I like to change the dampers to sport mode. I change the modes pretty often on my truck already. Personally, I like eco (comfort) on highways as the rocking sensation isnt noticed as much but the bump absorption is better, normal on byways as its not as floaty as eco on pavement changes, and sport (excite) on city streets and wavy pavement for the body control. What I noticed however, is that in sport, the dampers actually resist the pitchy movements more effectively than any other mode and the firmness on top of the weight gives the truck better dampening on small pockmarked roads. Also, it seems to me that the bushings add to the jitteriness, as eco mode makes the truck jiggle more than the others on bumps though its more compliant. In sport, only the repeated broken pavement and deep holes shakes the body. Also, sonce the rear ends is tightened, it doesnt seem like the rear of the body clanks on the frame as much. By driving in this mode for a good amount of time before cycling and switching back to eco or normal, the dampers retain the pitch resistance and slowly loosens up, almost like a soft reset. As a result, it feels more compliant without the shakiness, but it also doesn't feel rocky or pitchy. And hell, if it's already riding like shit, might as well take the handling benefit in sport mode then.

Your mileage may vary, as your trucks are newer, and iirc, the 22s I drove were firmer but more compliant than what I have. Hopefully, You're able get it fixed or get it to your liking. Only other advice I can give is to go 20s for the wheels. My wife and I test drove many truck based suvs, including a grand wagoneer this weekend, she said our 20 nav felt better on the road to her. On city roads, admittedly, her 22 cx9 is a bit better as it doesnt shake and crash over potholes as much, but on the hwy, we'd take the nav 9 times outta 10 (not to mention they avg the same gas mileage on the highway), its just so much nicer when it wants to be.

Last edited:

azfitch

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Dealer says my struts are fine. Visually no oil and they aren’t locked up. Going to get them checked out again next time in for an oil change. Thinking about trying out some new Michelin after reading comments on this thread and looking at at other threads
Update on my Expy max 22” no CCD. Swapped out the Pirelli’s for LTX and made slight improvement. While the tires were off could tell both driver side struts were leaking. Took into dealer and they had to order all 4 corners (4 week backorder). Finally got em installed and back on the road. Still a very stiff ride. Wish would’ve tried the Billsteins, but wanted to try OEM since mine were shot.

4 time Tahoe owner (all with the magnetic ride) so just used to the floating ride. This was my First Expy. Will know next time to get ccd or 18” wheels

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the floaty ride of the ccd. I do think the sport setting feels real good, just can’t take the trans shifting. I test drove a standard suspension one and it was quite a bit firmer in the ride, less bouncy after a pothole. It’s like the ccd lets the bumps shake out longer so not as harsh, but some don’t like how that feels. Preference is what it boils down to.

bilsteins are a nice product. I’ve had them on an f350. I plan to go to them on my hobby car next.

these are the worst oem tires I’ve ever dealt with. They flat spot easy, and I can feel them getting worse as they age through vibrations in the steering wheel. I was particularly bummed this summer when a trailer blew a tire in front of me and I got a bolt in a tire. Best option was a new hankrook at the dealer. It made the wheel vibrate noticeably less. I can’t wait to change these. I had a skid on a road I’ve been on a bunch of times in the second year when it was light raining. Never had that happen before. They ride funny at times, depends on the weather. They feel like they have low traction in the rain period. They struggle when towing, have to air way up. Have to watch the psi gain as they get hot, they get greasy feeling when they go over 50, which can Happen as the day gets hotter.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Note 39 psi is the recommended pressure for 22" wheels and the stock /45 tires..... 35 psi for 18" wheels with the stock 285/65R18 tires. 22's without CCD rides awful, 22 with CCD is much better, I swapped mine to 18's and it's even better..

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the floaty ride of the ccd. I do think the sport setting feels real good, just can’t take the trans shifting. I test drove a standard suspension one and it was quite a bit firmer in the ride, less bouncy after a pothole. It’s like the ccd lets the bumps shake out longer so not as harsh, but some don’t like how that feels. Preference is what it boils down to.

bilsteins are a nice product. I’ve had them on an f350. I plan to go to them on my hobby car next.

these are the worst oem tires I’ve ever dealt with. They flat spot easy, and I can feel them getting worse as they age through vibrations in the steering wheel. I was particularly bummed this summer when a trailer blew a tire in front of me and I got a bolt in a tire. Best option was a new hankrook at the dealer. It made the wheel vibrate noticeably less. I can’t wait to change these. I had a skid on a road I’ve been on a bunch of times in the second year when it was light raining. Never had that happen before. They ride funny at times, depends on the weather. They feel like they have low traction in the rain period. They struggle when towing, have to air way up. Have to watch the psi gain as they get hot, they get greasy feeling when they go over 50, which can Happen as the day gets hotter.
My Michelin Defender 22" tires are smooth as glass with CCD and stock shocks. The ride on smooth, bumpy, pretty much any road is flawless.
Regarding Trans shifting, reset your PCM so everything learns again. I did mine, because I bought it used, and it was jumping gears going from 2 to 5 or 6, jerking when slowing down. Now my Expedition shifts flawlessly and learned my driving habits.
This is especially important if there ae multiple drivers. I mostly do slow takeoffs, coast to traffic lights and use cruise control highway and local.
It's been months now since the reset and mine is still shifting smooth.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Michelin Defender 22" tires are smooth as glass with CCD and stock shocks. The ride on smooth, bumpy, pretty much any road is flawless.
Regarding Trans shifting, reset your PCM so everything learns again. I did mine, because I bought it used, and it was jumping gears going from 2 to 5 or 6, jerking when slowing down. Now my Expedition shifts flawlessly and learned my driving habits.
This is especially important if there ae multiple drivers. I mostly do slow takeoffs, coast to traffic lights and use cruise control highway and local.
It's been months now since the reset and mine is still shifting smooth.
I concur. The base shocks hit harder on most bumps and seams, but are more comfortable on city streets becuz the ccd allows too much tire slap and motion in any mode but sport. Its worlds better on the hwy though. The air springs work beautifully in the pre refresh 3rd gens, idk why ford did away with them, especially since the 4th gens are notorious for eatin up shocks anyway so the air spring maintenance in a mute point. My 4th gen nav rides better than my 3rd gen holistically, but the 3rd gen handled bumps better esp repeated bumps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65