Help drive on bumpy roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in the city and the roads here are not to good, my 2019 expedition xlt (normal shocks) drives rough on the bumpy roads. Would the billstein 5100 help with this? Also would the hellwig rear sway bar help with the car moving side to side after riding over bumps?

What diameter wheels do you have? 20in or greater will give you a significantly harsher ride. If you have large wheels I'd start with getting 18in wheels and good tires, which will make a big difference on bumpy roads. If you already have 18in wheels you can try decreasing tire pressure to low-mid 30psi (assuming you're not towing or carrying a load).

The Bilsteins will help with control but they probably won't help much with harshness, and may make it worse. If your suspension is shot and you want a softer ride, stick with OEM dampers.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What diameter wheels do you have? 20in or greater will give you a significantly harsher ride. If you have large wheels I'd start with getting 18in wheels and good tires, which will make a big difference on bumpy roads. If you already have 18in wheels you can try decreasing tire pressure to low-mid 30psi (assuming you're not towing or carrying a load).

The Bilsteins will help with control but they probably won't help much with harshness, and may make it worse. If your suspension is shot and you want a softer ride, stick with OEM dampers.

I agree tires are probably the #1 change to a smoother ride and running the Ford psi's regardless of the tire.
When I got my Toyo Open Country's I set them to what the spec sheet said and what forums said in the +50 range.
Ride sucked. Slowly went down and down to settle at 35psi and made a huge difference. After 15k miles on them no un even wear.

Also tire load range (sidewall) has a big impact on ride comfort.

Shocks have a small window where they can help a harsh ride, unless they have compression and rebound adjusters.

OP
OP
T

tj8522

Reaction score
I agree tires are probably the #1 change to a smoother ride and running the Ford psi's regardless of the tire.
When I got my Toyo Open Country's I set them to what the spec sheet said and what forums said in the +50 range.
Ride sucked. Slowly went down and down to settle at 35psi and made a huge difference. After 15k miles on them no un even wear.

Also tire load range (sidewall) has a big impact on ride comfort.

Shocks have a small window where they can help a harsh ride, unless they have compression and rebound adjusters.
Thanks, I will adjust my tire pressure and see how it feels

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is not good to run a lower tire pressure than what the tire calls for. 5 pounds may not make a difference, but more than that could cause side effects. For instance my Michelin Defender 22s have 39psi in them. I have a very smooth rid. Too smooth at times.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
U think I wanna replace the tires I just put on mine. The pirellus don't filter the road well and they are loud, at odds with what I know the truck is capable of.

I just came from test driving a grand wagoneer, my wife and I both to the conclusion that the rides not that much than what we have, it's just the body clanking on the frame that's make ours feel rough at times.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes like others said do not set the pressure outside of what is on the door sticker for normal driving.
If you have 20"s or 22"s and live where the roads are not that great, going to an 18" will give you a much nicer rider.
This is why all the Trophy Trucks and off road vehicles go with 17"s. For terrain absorbing and sidewall protection.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in the city and the roads here are not to good, my 2019 expedition xlt (normal shocks) drives rough on the bumpy roads. Would the billstein 5100 help with this? Also would the hellwig rear sway bar help with the car moving side to side after riding over bumps?
Where I live in the middle of Mississippi, many of the roads (until recently) are a broken mess.

I did a ton of research and found that the best approach without CCD would be to start with Bilstein's for better suspension compliance, Michelin Defender LTX's (or equivalent) to dampen impacts and road noise, and Hellwig sway bars to reduce body roll/sway from traversing uneven pavement. A less expensive start might be Sumo Springs but the impact would be minimal compared to the other options.

azfitch

Reaction score
21 Expy Max 4x4 limited with 22” (no CCD) , 46k miles on factory pirelli tires. Struggle with the same rough ride.

Are the Michelin LTX the unanimous “softest ride” tire?

Also looking at the continental terrain contact AT that seem to have a “soft ride” as well.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, your factory struts are most likely blown out. Replace them.
Second, the Hellwig sway bars almost completely eliminated the "bobblehead" feeling given when going over bumps. That was unbearable with the stock sway bar for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205