2018 Expo VS 2021 Tahoe test drive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to say I had high hopes for the new Tahoe as a GM owner of the past. I literally found myself sitting there laughing at it.

Its like a 2018 Expedition that they finally copied 3 years later..... I'll give it they ride better on crooked surfaces, but other than that there was NOTHING that made me fall in love over the Expedition. Its probably just as good as the expedition, but its NO better, even after copying the Ford and having 3 years to improve it.

Molardog

Reaction score
Its like a 2018 Expedition that they finally copied 3 years later..... I'll give it they ride better on crooked surfaces, but other than that there was NOTHING that made me fall in love over the Expedition. Its probably just as good as the expedition, but its NO better, even after copying the Ford and having 3 years to improve it.

Agreed. I did notice the uneven pavement ride quality. Grateful to live somewhere with nice asphalt so definitely a non factor. I am still flabbergasted at how much their HVAC designs suck.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not bad considering its brand new. Didnt get why they liked the 5.3 over the 3.5, seems to me becuz it "felt" fast that it was the better powertrain? And third row room was better? But what about comfort? Eh, it wasnt a true comparo so...

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Kinda what you figure. The V8's usually "feel" faster around town...we have a 16' denali too so i have lived with this, but the data clearly show the ford smokes it in a race. The items like the infotainment system, well, yeah duh....the GM is a brand new design and you see how fast tech advances...same for the ride. The rest is subjective. Good comparison. The new kid usually gets the nod unless you dig deeper or have very focused needs.

drw1926

Reaction score
Both vehicles have 42” first row headroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just because that is what is quoted in the manufacturer's brochure, it doesn't mean that's what is really true in practice. If you believed everything you read from the manufacturer there wouldn't be any need to do a test drive now would there?

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just because that is what is quoted in the manufacturer's brochure, it doesn't mean that's what is really true in practice. If you believed everything you read from the manufacturer there wouldn't be any need to do a test drive now would there?

Please explain how headroom measurements would be fudged?

Do you dynotest your vehicles to be sure you got the HP the manufacturer says you did?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Do you dynotest your vehicles to be sure you got the HP the manufacturer says you did?

I'm not sure, but I'll tell you that the Tahoe that I sat in had 3-4 inches less headroom vs my Expedition. Again, I did not play with the seat height in either, but the seat in my Expedition is far from the bottom, so I'm pretty sure there is less room in new Tahoe. I didn't do any scientific measuring tho...

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score

They don't fudge head room, but they don't always tell you that the stated head room may be on a base seat without the extra cushion and features. For example, if you have a chance, find two Lincoln Aviators, one with the 30 way seats and one with the base seats. Lower both all the way down and sit in them. Your eye level in the base seat is about 2 inches lower with the base seat than the 30 way. That was s significant deciding factor for me going with an Expedition instead of getting the Aviator, which is the vehicle I wanted. My eye level with the 30 way seats was even with the bottom of the sunvisor. With the base seats I was at the AS1 line.