2018!Failed right front wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

youngkicker

Reaction score
I have owned multiple Expeditions over the years. No problems. Just had right front wheel bearing on 2018 XLT fail at 52,000 miles. Dealer has never seen this. Anyone have this experience?
I have a 2018 Expedition Platinum with only 38k miles in the shop now and bearing are rusted and shot they are telling me. I live in CA. Right side front. But they listed with a scope and think the left side is not far behind.

Lizzie

Reaction score
I have owned multiple Expeditions over the years. No problems. Just had right front wheel bearing on 2018 XLT fail at 52,000 miles. Dealer has never seen this. Anyone have this experience?

I haven't. Mine didn't fail till after I put spacers/bigger wheels at 230k. Did they mention why?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did yours sound like as they were failing? Mine has started a sizzling type of sound from the front end area that almost sounds like tire noise, but its not the tires.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What did yours sound like as they were failing? Mine has started a sizzling type of sound from the front end area that almost sounds like tire noise, but its not the tires.
Sounds like a low rumbling sound that changes pitch as you turn. If you can find a sweeping highway turn, go around both directions at a moderate speed and the pitch will change as you turn the wheel. Last time one my mine failed it sounded like the passenger side but it was actually the driver side. You can also fee friction in the hub if you rotate it with the wheel off.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a low rumbling sound that changes pitch as you turn. If you can find a sweeping highway turn, go around both directions at a moderate speed and the pitch will change as you turn the wheel. Last time one my mine failed it sounded like the passenger side but it was actually the driver side. You can also fee friction in the hub if you rotate it with the wheel off.
Thats what mine are doing now..... add me to the list.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
PXL_20231015_152733043.MP.jpg$2618 last week. Covered by warranty. I think you can do it yourself for under 1k or less if you do the bearings and not the assembly. Also consider additional damage internally. I think there are some potential issues with drive shaft or internal to differential?

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much does that repair cost? Just so I can brace myself.
Not sure, I did my own. It's not terribly difficult. The only thing is that the wheel hub can get seized in place, but there's a nifty trick for pressing it out that works well using some hardened nuts and bolts. Watch some YouTube videos. Any competent shop should be able to quote it without seeing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65