2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
23,000 miles later and my wifes 2018 Navigator is getting its 6th set of cam phasers. Dealer suggested to Ford to replace the engine the last 2 times, and Ford has continued to decide to throw more cam phasers in it. This should be fun. In about 300 miles it will probably throw the check engine light again and puke these cam phasers. Now the head mechanic is out all week on Jury Duty, so they won't touch it for another week. Life is great.
Sounds like you're in Lemon Law territory depending on your state and if it's worth the hassle.

Sorry to hear you and your wife need to deal with this crap....

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow. Had mine replaced at ~38k miles and haven’t had an issue since. We’re now at ~57k miles. 2018 expedition

Attached is a list of parts they used. Wonder if they differ from what they’re putting in yours.

View attachment 42158

View attachment 42157
Yep, I just checked my previous bill from the dealer and my list is similar to yours. Mine was done @ 99xxx kms. I'm now at 128,000 kms and no reoccurrence. They only did 2 phasers on mine.

John I

Reaction score
You are the first person on this forum that has a manufacture date after April 2019 who has had the cam phaser issue. Are you sure it is the cam phaser and not the turbo waste gate.

I am not sure. It seems to fit the description and videos posted online. "Rattle" that lasts for a second or two only on cold starts, no other noticeable difference in performance. That's how I described it to the service advisor when I called for an appointment and he immediately mentioned cam phasers as a common problem.

edit: Just noticed 520tunage's post, so apparently my Expy is not the first post-4/19 mfg date with this issue.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have just over 25k miles on my 2018. I don't think I have the phaser issue (yet). I'll tell you what, I'll do it once. If it happens a second time, it's outta here. I love my Expy, but not going thru the BS and down time. Bless you Deadman for dealing with it.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have just over 25k miles on my 2018. I don't think I have the phaser issue (yet). I'll tell you what, I'll do it once. If it happens a second time, it's outta here. I love my Expy, but not going thru the BS and down time. Bless you Deadman for dealing with it.

Pretty pathetic when your wifes 11 year old Hyundai sedan with 200,000 miles is her go-to vehicle as this Pretty Lincoln lives at the repair shop. The Hyundais never been touched mechanically and this Lincoln can't make it thru a tank of fuel without another check engine light.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty pathetic when your wifes 11 year old Hyundai sedan with 200,000 miles is her go-to vehicle as this Pretty Lincoln lives at the repair shop. The Hyundais never been touched mechanically and this Lincoln can't make it thru a tank of fuel without another check engine light.
Good lord Deadman, I know you have it good with that dealer and all, but that's nuts. Also scares the crap out of me.

Mac Attack

Reaction score

I think I know why the original owner got rid of it! Have you asked to have the previous records pulled?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I know why the original owner got rid of it! Have you asked to have the previous records pulled?

It had Cam Phasers before we bought it. I assumed it was pretty common as many of you guys on here had your phasers done. Nothing else done to it.....On the records.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
It had Cam Phasers before we bought it. I assumed it was pretty common as many of you guys on here had your phasers done. Nothing else done to it.....On the records.

So, has this "lead mechanic" done the past four sets of phasers? I certainly would go somewhere else. Your failure rate is too statistically high to be faulty parts. Can you take it to a Ford dealer instead of your Lincoln dealer?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, has this "lead mechanic" done the past four sets of phasers? I certainly would go somewhere else. Your failure rate is too statistically high to be faulty parts. Can you take it to a Ford dealer instead of your Lincoln dealer?

Its been at multiple dealers, Ford, Lincoln, ect. Its just Ford balking at the engine replacement idea because it costs them too much money to do that VS more phasers and hope we go away....