2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure I'd blame the techs. Given that this happens at least once to so many people, I thinks it's fundamentally a design flaw. This thing could crush Ford if it ever makes it to a full recall, but honestly I'm not sure what they would do with no realistic and permanent fix. Pull a VW and buy back all of them? I can guarantee knowing what I'm seeing here, I will not be keeping mine past the extended warranty, if it makes it that far.

The shear amount of time folks are dealing with this is also nuts. And what about the part shortages now? Not to mention the almost complete loss of revenue stopping production on so many lines and holding so many vehicles in unsellable and rusting conditions? Ford will restrict repairs even more for the time being, gonna be interesting.

Anerbe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been at multiple dealers, Ford, Lincoln, ect. Its just Ford balking at the engine replacement idea because it costs them too much money to do that VS more phasers and hope we go away....

unfortunately, it appears there are way into this in terms of cost going down the phaser direction. who knows - maybe they don't have additional engines available to replace

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
unfortunately, it appears there are way into this in terms of cost going down the phaser direction. who knows - maybe they don't have additional engines available to replace

They haven't even crossed that bridge yet to check. I'm sure they can "find" one if they really tried! lol.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
Due to the oil path circuit, bad chain tensioner gaskets can bleed off oil before it reaches the phasers, thereby increasing wear on the pins, etc. If those tensioner gaskets haven't been replaced, maybe they were wrong from the factory and exacerbating phaser wear.

If you're going in for new phasers, and being the 6th time, I would have those looked at too. Maybe consider new chain, tensioner, etc depending on the mileage.

Good luck!

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Due to the oil path circuit, bad chain tensioner gaskets can bleed off oil before it reaches the phasers, thereby increasing wear on the pins, etc. If those tensioner gaskets haven't been replaced, maybe they were wrong from the factory and exacerbating phaser wear.

If you're going in for new phasers, and being the 6th time, I would have those looked at too. Maybe consider new chain, tensioner, etc depending on the mileage.

Good luck!

They did tensioners and chain and everything imaginable..... Oil pressure solenoid, valve cover gaskets, harmonic balancer,..............lol

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve asked this before but I don’t remember the answer and can’t find my question to reference back…

I’m at about 55k miles and the dreaded cam phaser noise has begun, so I’ll need to have mine done soon. BUT….

If I DONT have it fixed, is it a problem that will lead to bigger problems down the road, or is it just an annoying noise issue?

Asked another way: do I HAVE to go through the time and trouble to get it fixed, or can I learn to live with the annoying clatter on startup?

Asked even another way: is something going to break or is this just a noise issue?

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just annoying sound. I read somewhere, if you hold break and gas pedestals down and crank over of a second the engine will build oil pressure. The rattel will not happen when you go to start b/c the oil pressure will be built up.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At Ford dealer dropping of my 2018 Expy at 45K miles for likely cam phaser issue. Deadman- Can not believe your engine continues to eat cam phasers. Ford should disassemble that engine and study what the exact failure mode is. Since it is so severe it might be easier to detect for future designs.
It’s interesting that this issue was not surfaced during Ford’s design testing, especially considering these are gen II engines. Somehow engine design testing protocols did not surface this issue. I would first suspect the constant start stop with auto engine shutoff, since this might be a lubrication failure related issue that might happen on engine cranking before oil pressure is fully established.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my phasers replaced on my Expedtion and it came back still rattling haha.

I just don’t even care anymore. When I go in next I’ll tell them again to REPLACE the turbos and they’ll probably deny me again but I’ve learned to deal with the 60 seconds of rattle.

I have lifetime powertrain and 125k bumper to bumper so if shit hits the fan it’s on them. I wouldn’t own this car still if I didn’t have those warranties but it drives well, has the features I need and want and overall is a great car it just rattles.

I guess this is the price we pay for a fairly fuel efficient twin turbo V6 instead of a thirsty GM V8…