2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get that its good having information about how your engine is wearing and all, but forgive me, if you need to do a $20, $30, $40 oil analysis each change to see if your engine is eating itself alive, them there's a bigger issue. To me, if I was that worried about my engine eating itself, it would be time for a different engine. But to each his/her own.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Were you getting the rattle on every cold start? Mine has twice made a rattle noise but that’s out of the last 20 or so cold starts. I’m taking a video of every start now to gather evidence for the service rep. Mine is going in for a possible bearing issue this coming Thursday so if the rattle happens before the. I’ll have a video for them. 46k on the clock.

Mine has only done it twice and I've also been trying to video each cold start, but havn't caught it on video yet.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has only done it twice and I've also been trying to video each cold start, but havn't caught it on video yet.

Ford won't care about the video, they need to hear it themselves, so you are probably wasting your time with the videos. Its BS, but thats how they roll....

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford won't care about the video, they need to hear it themselves, so you are probably wasting your time with the videos. Its BS, but thats how they roll....
Yeah, I figured as much... they need to replicate before replace. Mine may not even be the phasers... the video is just to help the service advisor hear it and tell me the next step. If I have to let it get to the point it’s happening frequently enough for them to replicate themselves then that’s fine. We have another SUV on order so hopefully I won’t need the phasers replaced until it gets here so I won’t have to deal with a rental or loaner for a extended period of time.

Last edited:

John I

Reaction score

Exactly. I asked the service advisor this morning if he wanted to hear any of the videos I had and he said that the tech was required to diagnose it himself for Ford to cover the repair. I also told him I had read somewhere (this forum) that the cam phaser issue was resolved for vehicles built after April 2019. He said that was incorrect, and they had done the repair on numerous 2020 F150s & Expys.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly. I asked the service advisor this morning if he wanted to hear any of the videos I had and he said that the tech was required to diagnose it himself for Ford to cover the repair. I also told him I had read somewhere (this forum) that the cam phaser issue was resolved for vehicles built after April 2019. He said that was incorrect, and they had done the repair on numerous 2020 F150s & Expys.
Kind of what I heard from my dealer as well. Wasn't what I was hoping for, that would mean no real fix in sight.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SO THEY SWAPPED THE ENGINE ANDDDDDDDDDD.......... They fired it up and got some of the exact same "Cam Phaser" Codes immediately. OMG. Supposedly the dealer has exhausted all options on resolving this, and they called in the Big-Wigs from Ford to come and address this themselves hands-on Monday. I guess they have some bigger smarter computer system that can test "everything" as far as computer BS and figure out if the main computer needs to be swapped or what the hell is causing the cam phasers to go wonky. They think the main computer might be miscommunicating the cam phaser "timing" and causing weird running issues that other sensors detect and throw the code.

I guess I'm glad it has a fresh long-block, but now they need to finish resolving this. It'll soon be all brand new parts! lol

One of the the camshafts was scored, so thats what dictated the engine swap. An oil passage was plugged with sealant and the cam and phasers possibly ran dry at times. That came that way from the factory when this was brand new.

8 weeks and counting........

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SO THEY SWAPPED THE ENGINE ANDDDDDDDDDD.......... They fired it up and got some of the exact same "Cam Phaser" Codes immediately. OMG. Supposedly the dealer has exhausted all options on resolving this, and they called in the Big-Wigs from Ford to come and address this themselves hands-on Monday. I guess they have some bigger smarter computer system that can test "everything" as far as computer BS and figure out if the main computer needs to be swapped or what the hell is causing the cam phasers to go wonky. They think the main computer might be miscommunicating the cam phaser "timing" and causing weird running issues that other sensors detect and throw the code.

I guess I'm glad it has a fresh long-block, but now they need to finish resolving this. It'll soon be all brand new parts! lol

One of the the camshafts was scored, so thats what dictated the engine swap. An oil passage was plugged with sealant and the cam and phasers possibly ran dry at times. That came that way from the factory when this was brand new.

8 weeks and counting........

I may have missed it - have you been provided with a no-cost loaner vehicle?

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman, you are a saint! I would have dumped that thing LONG ago. Or drove it into the showroom. I have ZERO intention of ever getting my cam phasers "fixed", if it ever starts. Maybe it has, I don't know or care. I'll drive it until it blows up, or just dump it.

This is a crime that Ford doesn't know how to fix it, or doesn't care about fixing it. Ford's turning into GM. Deny, deny, deny. Guess Ford's going to lose my business going forward if this doesn't get resolved for all of us. It's a shame. I love this truck, enjoy driving it, a great highway cruiser. Hurumpf.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FFS

i smell a buyback in the works. this might be just the beginning for them - no way that some of us don’t have similar problems coming our way down the road.

the 22’s couldn’t come soon enough. the whole thing is giving me anxiety & ive only had them fixed once so far.

convinced this is not the phaser parts themselves but a bigger problem.

let’s see how much bigger