2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jUST got the call. Dealer found the cam shafts scored and the oils full of metal. Ford FINALLY agreed to pay for an engine replacement in it. I can't believe it took this long, but they are swapping it, so I'm happy in the end! Its been at the dealer 6 weeks and counting right now. Probably be a few more weeks with this and the needed parts....

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any idea if the cam shafts were scored on the prior replacements? Metal in the oil certainly would cause lots of trouble/wear issues. Glad they finally agreed to swap in a new engine!

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any idea if the cam shafts were scored on the prior replacements? Metal in the oil certainly would cause lots of trouble/wear issues. Glad they finally agreed to swap in a new engine!

No way to know.
They disassembled it much farther this time inspecting it and looking for damage. I'm not sure how far they pull it apart just for Phaser replacement.

Paul M

Reaction score
Congrats on finally getting a resolution. I’ve been following this post and wondering if I need to sign you up for the “bourbon of the month club” or some ptsd drugs...

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats on finally getting a resolution. I’ve been following this post and wondering if I need to sign you up for the “bourbon of the month club” or some ptsd drugs...

yes please!

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I jUST got the call. Dealer found the cam shafts scored and the oils full of metal. Ford FINALLY agreed to pay for an engine replacement in it. I can't believe it took this long, but they are swapping it, so I'm happy in the end! Its been at the dealer 6 weeks and counting right now. Probably be a few more weeks with this and the needed parts....

hallelujah!

on the heels of this wonderful news for you -

my cam phasers were just done as some may know - purred like a lion for a few weeks...

now there is this NEW sound. only for a few minutes or so after startup. seems different sound IMO from what i had before. NOT happy, obviously concerned especially with some of the tech’s oversights that i dealt with. gonna insist on checking for metal also. there’s no way in hell i’m gonna let ford do this job 5 more times to get it right, i’ll tell ya that.

but hey @Deadman at least i made it 2 tanks of gas! FFS

if it’s surgery again, i’ve completely lost confidence & i fear that i might just dump her now while resale prices are so good & do a coilover conversion to my 2001 allroad to get it road ready again, because i literally have more confidence in that 20yr old 240k mile beast.

listen to the video for yourselves. and caution to all for the suspected fix that appears to not stick (for some of us.) really makes me question the parts they’re using, & the problem has to be bigger than the parts as well.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hallelujah!

on the heels of this wonderful news for you -

my cam phasers were just done as some may know - purred like a lion for a few weeks...

now there is this NEW sound. only for a few minutes or so after startup. seems different sound IMO from what i had before. NOT happy, obviously concerned especially with some of the tech’s oversights that i dealt with. gonna insist on checking for metal also. there’s no way in hell i’m gonna let ford do this job 5 more times to get it right, i’ll tell ya that.

but hey @Deadman at least i made it 2 tanks of gas! FFS

if it’s surgery again, i’ve completely lost confidence & i fear that i might just dump her now while resale prices are so good & do a coilover conversion to my 2001 allroad to get it road ready again, because i literally have more confidence in that 20yr old 240k mile beast.

listen to the video for yourselves. and caution to all for the suspected fix that appears to not stick (for some of us.) really makes me question the parts they’re using, & the problem has to be bigger than the parts as well.

That sounds really bad! It’s stops after it warms up? Sounds like engine knock. Doesn’t sound like the cam phaser issue most have. I wouldn’t drive it like that if possible and get it in ASAP. Use that warranty. Be ready for that COVID parts on back order excuse. POST 15 months of COVID it’s insane we are still dealing with supply issues. What a weakness we have. Let’s hope companies learn from this. Rant done :cool:

cfldad

Reaction score
<sigh> would not have purchased if i saw this thread, even if chances are 1% for these sorts of issues. Time to deal with taking it in alone has a price associated. Good luck guys!

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds really bad! It’s stops after it warms up? Sounds like engine knock. Doesn’t sound like the cam phaser issue most have. I wouldn’t drive it like that if possible and get it in ASAP. Use that warranty. Be ready for that COVID parts on back order excuse. POST 15 months of COVID it’s insane we are still dealing with supply issues. What a weakness we have. Let’s hope companies learn from this. Rant done :cool:

Yeah definitely doesn’t sound like the same cam phaser noise as earlier problem was. My concern is that they screwed something up or triggered something else during surgery. Or maybe something else just failed conveniently. It seems to go away after a few minutes, but no matter how recently the car is been driven or how warm everything is, it will still do it at start up every time.

I am now repossessing the wife’s Touareg Diesel and for the first time in a long time I am thankful about having this machine in comparison to the XP, Even with all the BS I had to deal with on the VW side and watch it get castrated - The build is so much better it’s painfully obvious

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That noise does not sound like the phaser noise this had...... Who knows what they did in there.