2019 Expedition has zero trailer brake output below 11 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Stucky

Reaction score
The Expedition manual says that below 11 mph the trailer brake gain is reduced to prevent jerking/lockup at low speed. Our F250 diesel's manual states the same thing - exact same text.

With gain set about 7 on each, the F250 brake output when going down our gravel driveway is noticeably reduced, the trailer brakes are effective and do engage.

With the same gain setting, the Expedition experiences NO trailer braking, zero output visible on screen, trailer brakes are not engaged. The trailer pushes us down the driveway, the Expedition is unable to stop without manually engaging the trailer brakes.

Took it a few times to the Ford store, mechanic finally believed the problem was real when brought his own trailer in and experienced the same - zero - output. Replaced just about everything without fixing it. They contacted Ford's engineering support and were told that the controller was functioning as designed.

Anyone else have zero trailer brake output below 11 mph???

OP
OP
R

Robert Stucky

Reaction score
Out of curiosity - how does everything behave with the rig in your picture?

We've been hauling a 30' Freedom Express (6800lbs dry) with an F250 diesel. We bought a 2019 Exp to haul it because we got a 3rd Saint Bernard who grew to a svelte 210 lbs. First time out, we did an uncontrolled slow slide down our gravel road driveway. Exp was unable to stop, trailer brakes were non-existent until I manually engaged them. That's what started the inquiry. Eventually the dealer bought that Exp back. But we really want to road trip with all our dogs, and an Exp looks to be one of very few options.

My first question was on trailer brakes. I've resigned myself to manually braking at slow speed if that's the only way. But your rig looks comparable to ours - I'd like to know how well it does for you. Thanks

(PS - I'm convinced the Ford Engineering Rep thought what our dealership thought - that it was our trailer or operator error - until we proved to them that it was the Exp not the trailer. Everything works as advertised with the F250. Figuring yours will be fine and it was an issue with the specific vehicle.)

RustyOval

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Out of curiosity - how does everything behave with the rig in your picture?

We've been hauling a 30' Freedom Express (6800lbs dry) with an F250 diesel. We bought a 2019 Exp to haul it because we got a 3rd Saint Bernard who grew to a svelte 210 lbs. First time out, we did an uncontrolled slow slide down our gravel road driveway. Exp was unable to stop, trailer brakes were non-existent until I manually engaged them. That's what started the inquiry. Eventually the dealer bought that Exp back. But we really want to road trip with all our dogs, and an Exp looks to be one of very few options.

My first question was on trailer brakes. I've resigned myself to manually braking at slow speed if that's the only way. But your rig looks comparable to ours - I'd like to know how well it does for you. Thanks

(PS - I'm convinced the Ford Engineering Rep thought what our dealership thought - that it was our trailer or operator error - until we proved to them that it was the Exp not the trailer. Everything works as advertised with the F250. Figuring yours will be fine and it was an issue with the specific vehicle.)[/QUOT

My controller works as it should, you should not have to manually engage the brakes. My camper at 6,300# dry is as heavy as I would want to go, but as is I am happy with it.