2019 Expedition Limited - Auto start/stop not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Put in a new battery last night. Seems like almost all of the memories were kept, other than the power running boards switching to "off" (which someone else mentioned happened to them).

Took a 10+ minute drive, and still nothing for the auto start/stop. No messages appearing on the screen, no (A) icon showing up. I can still push the button to disable it, and a message appears to say it's disabled, and push it again to re-enable it, but it never appears to re-enable. Forscan doesn't seem to indicate that it's been disabled, and I've checked a number of the inhibit flags and none of them appear to be responsible. I haven't had a chance to go for a full drive with the laptop plugged in and monitoring, so maybe that will be next.

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put in a new battery last night. Seems like almost all of the memories were kept, other than the power running boards switching to "off" (which someone else mentioned happened to them).

Took a 10+ minute drive, and still nothing for the auto start/stop. No messages appearing on the screen, no (A) icon showing up. I can still push the button to disable it, and a message appears to say it's disabled, and push it again to re-enable it, but it never appears to re-enable. Forscan doesn't seem to indicate that it's been disabled, and I've checked a number of the inhibit flags and none of them appear to be responsible. I haven't had a chance to go for a full drive with the laptop plugged in and monitoring, so maybe that will be next.
Did you reset the battery monitor adaptions? See below video. Most newer cars adapt the auto start, alternator and charging strategy to the battery condition but it takes a long time to reset on its own for electrical features to come back online after a battery is changed. It may take a few miles of driving after doing this as the battery sense system learns the new battery.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mean getting into the car with it locked. With the vehicle locked, and the fob in your pocket, try to open the rear passenger door from the outside.

Mine no longer unlocks when grabbing the handle. I think it is also related to a dying battery.
I agree with your assessment, @Av8r . Mine will unlock at each of the 4 doors, as well as when I touch the sensor on the liftgate handle.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Did you reset the battery monitor adaptions? See below video. Most newer cars adapt the auto start, alternator and charging strategy to the battery condition but it takes a long time to reset on its own for electrical features to come back online after a battery is changed. It may take a few miles of driving after doing this as the battery sense system learns the new battery.

I'll give this a try after my wife gets home tonight. Thanks!

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Did the battery monitor reset, and still no auto start/stop :(. I even made sure to turn off the HVAC, engine was fully warmed up, and it was in the mid 40s outside. Nothing on the screen, either.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Ok, the saga continues. I went back through everything again last night with Forscan, and enabled just about every monitor around the ASS I could find to see what may be inhibiting it.

Interestingly, there were two...
"Scheduler system of start-stop feature disabled due to vehicle configuration does not support stop-start feature"
"Scheduler system of start-stop feature disabled due to the driver commanding the engine off"

I've looked at all of the typical settings to disable ASS, and they're all in the as-built configuration, so there must be some other flag that's told the vehicle that it doesn't have the stop-start feature. I'll need to look to see if perhaps the previous owner installed one of the dongles to disable it...or if perhaps they did a custom tune (the truck has an aftermarket S&B cold air intake installed, and Forscan didn't want to recognize the truck initially) which may have disabled it.

Does anyone know if there's a way to tell if the car has a custom tune applied? I haven't found anything in my earlier searches :(

Rossue

Reaction score
Mine stopped a year ago & hope the same happens with my 2021 Transit T-250!