2019 heading in for cam phaser repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michguy

Reaction score
My 2019 FX4 (delivered Feb 2019), now with 9800 miles, is heading in for the cam phaser repair. About a month ago I started having the 2-3 second rattle that occurs when starting the vehicle after an overnight set. I showed a video that I had taken to the service tech when I brought it in yesterday for the vehicles second oil change service. He sent me over for scheduling with "heavy engine repair." It is now scheduled for the first week of October, the first available appointment.

So some questions for those that have had the repair or actual knowledge of the issue. First, what happens if the repair is not done? Do problems develop? The rattle itself is no big deal and the thought of an engine tear down makes me worry about iatrogenic problems. Secondly, do the Ford dealers now have the know how and proper parts to fix the issue permanently, or is the issue likely to reappear a few thousand miles from now? The technical bulletin given to me for the repair is "20-2166 Cold start ticking/tapping or rattle type noise-built on or before 8 April 2019." It appears to be dated 04 June 2020. It has an extensive parts list, and is rated for 10.4 hours, but they estimate that the vehicle will have to be left for a week. Thanks for any advice.

LyoddChrissmiss

Reaction score
I don’t have experience with a cam phaser issue on the Expedition, however I had the issue in my past vehicle (10’ V8 Explorer) before I got rid of it in June and bought a 2020 Expedition.
I had the dealer do the repair and it was finished in 3 days. It involves tearing down the top of the engine to gain access to the phaser. Its cheap piece of plastic part. Then they reseal everything and piece it back together. Oil change will be included if you have a good honest dealership.
I had no problems after the repair was done.
It is upsetting though that these engines still can potentially have the cam issue.
Good luck and ask questions like what is warranted after the repair and it occurs again a year or two down the road

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 2 of the phasers done and it took 4 days in the shop. They used SSM-48445. Just make sure that there is an oil change done AFTER they do the phasers as there is a potential for coolant contamination. Seems to have solved the problem so far. It was done at 99,*** kms and I'm, currently at 107,000 kms

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not really an "engine teardown." They basically have to take everything out of the front of the engine bay (might be able to leave the cooling stack in place). But that "phaser" is mounted on the end of the camshaft ...and both phasers, plus the tensioners and crankshaft sprocket is enclosed by a big cover. They have to get all of the belt-driven accessories either completely off or laid to the side to get to everything. It is a lengthy process ...but not one where I would worry too much about the introduction of new problems (as long as they follow the repair guide / process and torque everything back down to spec). They should use a NEW cam-phaser bolt as I believe they are "tighten to yield" which means they are designed to be torqued down to spec, and stretch very slightly in the process ...making them a one-time use fastener. (From what I know, they used to sell the phaser and bolt separately, but come as a "kit" now...together.)

Any reputable Ford Dealership has techs that have been doing this for as many as 20 years. The VVT / cam-phaser engine design has been prevalent in Ford engines since the early 21st century.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am a mechanically inclined and would of did the job myself. But the truck was under warranty.

I can say the stealership did a good job.

I looked for loose or missing bolts.
I talked to the tech, and they do these all week long.

Like second nature to them by now.

Take it in and get it fixed.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt anything to not fix it, I have even heard ford may stop fixing them. It won't cause long term damage to the engine. Its just a clicking until the oil pressure rises then it stops.

My buddy just took his f150 back in and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump. It was loose which caused it to rattle and killed it, he thinks it wasn't installed correctly when they did his cam phaser. I don't know where exactly the HPFP is so I can't say if it needs to be touched when they do the phasers? Maybe it came from the factory loose.

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt anything to not fix it, I have even heard ford may stop fixing them. It won't cause long term damage to the engine. Its just a clicking until the oil pressure rises then it stops.

My buddy just took his f150 back in and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump. It was loose which caused it to rattle and killed it, he thinks it wasn't installed correctly when they did his cam phaser. I don't know where exactly the HPFP is so I can't say if it needs to be touched when they do the phasers? Maybe it came from the factory loose.

Hummm, metal rubbing on metal without oil pressure! Sounds like a good recipe to me.

Julio Walker

Reaction score
My ‘18 expy was in the shop for 25 days because parts were back ordered before they took stuff apart by dealer...it had 34k miles. I’m not at 45k and it made the rattle again this week...upsetting these are known te-occurring issues...looking at trading for ‘20, but I’m really tempted to just say goodbye to Ford and get a ‘21 Tahoe/burban.

David King

Reaction score
I would be very leery of this repair. We took my wife's 2018 Limited in for the same repair and after a 5 weeks and a new engine we finally got the vehicle back. They supposedly received a bad phaser from the factory and after the initial repair and startup it bent 6 valves and mushroomed 3 pistons. After much back and forth they agreed to put in a new engine rather than repair the mess that they made. Through all this I've noticed that in the shop at our Ford dealer there are engines and transmissions stacked up everywhere. I'm told that they have three full time techs that do nothing but engine and transmission swaps. Maybe its just an isolated experience but I did go down the street and looked in the service bay of both a Dodge and GM dealer and did not see the same. Maybe they hide theirs better. LOL. That being said we love the Expedition but are on pins a needles about keeping this for the long haul.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really hate hearing about internal engine problems...change your oil often, keep it clean. Most likely won't have any internal engine issues down the road, none of my engines ever did. Max 3,000 miles on my newer ones and 2,000 on the old ones. Oil and filters are cheap compared to an engine.